In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
120 degrees Celsius — 20 grados centígrados / Celsio(s)
- the Celsius scale — la escala centígrada / de Celsius / Celsio
- The debut of summer saw temperatures entering the 30 degrees Celsius range.
- Swindon Council's highways department was on red alert as temperatures plunged to 5 degrees Celsius overnight.
- The dampness and high temperature of about 25 degrees Celsius provides the best conditions for mould to grow and reproduce.
- I have personally been to both in the midst of winter and enjoyed temperatures around the 20 degrees Celsius mark.
- The ship's diving team took the opportunity to progress continuation training in the pristine 31 degrees Celsius waters around the port.
- Without these greenhouse gases the earth's average surface temperature would be about 33 degrees Celsius cooler.
- Instead of a global temperature rise of 2.1 degrees Celsius occurring by 2094, it will be postponed to 2100.
- So far, studies show that platform level air temperatures will very rarely be above 20 degrees Celsius or lower than freezing.
- Transfer the meat to a 200 degree Celsius oven for 10 minutes and stand for a further 5 minutes before serving.
- For an hour and a half in the oppressive, dry 35 Celsius degree heat of the day we traveled across the valley and hiked up to the top of Graveyard pass.
- Biological records show that insect species are appearing six days earlier on average for each degree Celsius rise in temperature.
- It was two o'clock in the afternoon and thirty-two degrees Celsius outside with the humidity at 88%.
- It is better to pre-treat and pre-soak heavily soiled clothing and use a warm wash, of around 50 Celsius degrees, to conserve energy.
- They are most comfortable in water about 25 degrees Celsius, or slightly higher for breeding.
- The Kelvin scale uses Celsius units, the main difference being that zero on the Kelvin scale is absolute.
- Water exposed to atmospheric pressure boils at approximately 100 degrees Celsius.
- Temperatures throughout the region hovered around the minus five degrees Celsius range for most of the two week storm.
- They even use Celsius temperatures, which nobody understands.
- Citizens experienced the heat of summer as the temperature rocketed to 34 Celsius degrees last Sunday.
- Without greenhouse gases the earth's average surface temperature would be about 35° Celsius cooler.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.