In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Caldwell, remember, is the human personification of the wise centaur, Chiron.
- Creatures like Morris's centaurs hardly qualify as fallen men, and they lie outside the church's prim jurisdiction.
- By the time they had gotten there, a small herd of young Pegasus, centaurs, and dragons had accumulated behind them, amazed at the two strange creatures.
- In keeping with the theme of the game, many are drawn from mythology, such as harpies, Minotaurs, skeletal centaurs, satyrs et al.
- In the 5th century political symbolism was couched in mythological terms, and the battles of gods and giants, Greeks and Amazons or Trojans, and Lapiths and centaurs stood for the historical battles of the Persian Wars.
- Historically, too, medieval mapmakers and geographers filled unknown regions with such beasties: centaurs, mermaids, manticores and Tartary lambs.
- When she came back out, three centaurs and three elves lay dead or dying on the grass.
- A lengthy section pursues the connections with myth and the centaurs, and the book ends with an ephemeris for the centaurs Chiron, Pholus and Nessus between the years 1900-2050.
- Seated around the smaller tables were an assortment of fairies, gnomes, centaurs, unicorns, elves, goat men, dragons, and a number of creatures she'd never seen before.
- Behind him stood a variety of demons, centaurs, vampires and elves.
- Under our world exists a chaotic, quarrelsome and crowded underground society of fearsome but stupid goblins, officious gnomes, sprites, technically adept centaurs and other creatures.
- Tales of the centaurs describe them as aggressive and brutal.
- It was about twenty years ago when the world became extinct of free-living banshees, unicorns, centaurs and other creatures.
- Known for great physical power, centaurs have the lower bodies of horses and the upper bodies of a man.
- I imagined myself fighting against giant rats and drunken centaurs, in shining armour, a sword and shield in hand, and finally discovering the Truth.
- There are elves and centaurs and unicorns and mermaids and flying lynxes and all shapes of mythical things.
- Like giants, centaurs led long lives, and it was almost a certainty that Erwin would survive most everybody else.
- Nessus, a centaur, offered to help Hercules get Deianira across the river.
- They are filled with fawns, centaurs, satyrs and goblins.
- King Steven who usurped the English throne in 1096 carried the centaur as his heraldic symbol for that reason.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.