In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The White Sox and Cubs will meet in the World Series on the centennial anniversary of ‘the greatest tragedy this city has ever known.’
- The Nobel Literature Prize, first awarded to French author Sully Prudhomme in 1901, is worth US $943,000 in this centennial year.
- This year marks the centennial anniversary of the peaceful dissolution of the union between Sweden and Norway, so it's highly likely many Norwegians are swigging down many pints of Ringnes now.
- The property was purchased and reorganized as the Centennial Mining Company in 1876, taking its name from the centennial anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.
- Klein announced the final $3 billion on the debt would be paid in full in time for the province's centennial celebrations next year.
- Its fate - and the names of the four new colors - will be announced on October 11 at Crayola's centennial celebration in Easton.
- In this centennial year of Rotary International, Dublin Fingal Rotary Club is celebrating its 25th anniversary.
- Like the centennial celebration in 1905, the bicentennial has a peculiar ability to conflate understandings of the past with aesthetic and economic valuations of nature.
- The mural is expected to be completed by September 15 and will be part of the centennial celebrations of the City of Regina.
- That was back in 1967, that centennial year of stylized maple leaf flags and Montreal's Expo.
- This year's commemoration of Sukarno's death coincides with the centennial celebration of his birth anniversary, which took place on June 6.
- By 1976, the year ACS celebrated its centennial anniversary, membership in the organization had grown to over 112,000 chemists, chemical engineers, and chemistry students.
- These items were created by local artist Sharon Edmonds, as part of the congregation's celebration of its centennial year.
- In time to celebrate the centennial anniversary of human flight, Flight Simulator 2004 is both a tribute to the Wright brother's historic first trip and a follow-up to its predecessor Flight Simulator 2002.
- At the same time this date coincided with Wolfe Tone Day, the largest celebration of the 1798 Rising in Ireland during the centennial year.
- Scripps turns 100 years old on September 26, 2003 and is awarding the prize during its centennial celebration week.
- During this year's centennial celebration, I'd like to help change that.
- A generalization of Morley's theorem would be an appropriate contribution to the coming centennial anniversary of the discovery of this wonderful result.
- His explanation that the money saved would be budgeted towards the city's centennial celebration on New Year's didn't wash with angry citizens.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.