In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- All of the known Mesozoic centipedes, including C. oberlii, are morphologically indistinguishable from extant centipedes.
- The arthropodes, like centipedes, beetles, millipedes and worms, bring in the finishing touches to complete the composting.
- Other than scorpions, centipedes have to be the most disgusting bug on earth.
- A hospital spokesman said: ‘Squirrels have been a problem in the roofspace of the low rise block of the offices on West Park, along with occasional visits from birds, wasps and centipedes.’
- In their burrows, funnel-webs face aggressive predators such as centipedes and king crickets.
- Silurian strata have provided likely ascomycete fossils (a group of fungi), as well as remains of the first arachnids and centipedes.
- The rubbish also attracted beetles, flies, centipedes and millipedes.
- Insects mined and bored every bit of wood and leaf, while centipedes and millipedes crawled all over.
- Onychophorans themselves have few predators, except perhaps insect carnivores such as centipedes, birds and rodents.
- If one is on a holiday with the entire family, he may visit the Butterfly Pavilion and Insect Center which is an artificial shelter of numerous insects like centipedes and beautiful butterflies.
- Some arthropods, like the centipedes, millipedes, and insects, have legs with a single branch (uniramous appendages).
- There were scorpions inside jars, and papers were cluttered underneath them; drawings of spiders, centipedes, and large ants.
- Adding to the list of ignored forewarnings from the volcano, they reported that poisonous centipedes and snakes had swarmed over the outskirts of the city and that people had been dying from an epidemic triggered by volcanic pollution.
- Yet, as Yearley has observed, it is difficult to convince the general public that species such as spiders and centipedes are as worthy of conservation as brightly coloured birds or appealing mammals.
- Curiously, the number of trunk segments in centipedes is always odd.
- His band practices in the damp room next door, on a red-painted floor crawling with centipedes and spiders.
- For David, the real challenge of filming the world's invertebrates came not from confronting swarms of bees and giant bat-eating centipedes, but from filming their miniature universe.
- Although the burrows with the trapdoor provide protection against most natural enemies e.g. wasps and centipedes, some are still able to invade the burrows and additional defense mechanisms are used to overcome this problem.
- Safe for now the Scorpion continued on its journey, its targets for tonight were insects, spiders, centipedes, and other scorpions.
- These tiny myriapods generally resemble very small centipedes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.