In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Magnesium powder is also produced by gas jet or centrifugal disintegration of molten metal.
- Einstein warmed to the idea that the gravitational field of the rest of the Universe might explain centrifugal and other inertial forces resulting from acceleration.
- That produced a small centrifugal displacement of the beam indicative of its velocity distribution as imaged by faint deposits of silver.
- In this schema, circulation was entirely centrifugal: blood moved only outward from the heart and liver to the various parts of the body, where it was consumed for nourishment.
- Each work contains a small riot of biomorphic form seeking a balance between exaggerated centrifugal and centripetal pressures.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.