In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1telesilla masculinetelesquí masculine Spain
- The decision to provide avalanche control in Flute Bowl, a short hike from the mountain's Peak or Harmony chairlifts, adds another 700 acres of unpisted snow for expert skiers.
- This winter, the year-old resort has added 25 more runs and a quad chairlift, bringing the mountain to a total of 76 runs and five chairlifts.
- Eventually the bankers built themselves a chairlift, opened the mountain to the public, and called it Stowe, after the nearby town.
- ‘The guests don't even have to pay for anything other than the cost of the chairlift or cable car,’ he explains.
- You can find more sophisticated dining at Café Diva, at the base of the mountain, or take a chairlift and then a moonlit snowshoe tour to sup at Ragnar's, a Norwegian restaurant at an elevation of 9,325 feet.
- We decided that we would walk to Purple Mountain (Mt. Zhongshan) and catch the chairlift up to the top.
- There are 12 lifts, including a gondola, chairlifts, button tows and T-bars, which cover most of the mountain.
- There are no flash high-speed chairlifts scattered all over the mountain.
- The three areas have over two dozen ski lifts, mostly chairlifts and gondolas, serving a multitude of trails and runs from the valley floor to open slopes above treeline.
- I buzzed, I forgot about my feet, I gibbered ecstatically to strangers on chairlifts, I laughed and whooped, soared and floated.
- The number who had got on to the mountain was far fewer than when the old chairlift had been in operation, she added.
- I once loaded him on the chairlift at Cypress Mountain.
- By this stage we had only an hour to get back to the hut - raced part way back along the crater rim, down the mountain until we got to the top chairlift and begged a ride down from the Marley-listening operators.
- The local mountain-bike association's future plans include installing a chairlift to transport bikes and riders to the top of the mountain.
- It styles itself as Colorado's Perfect Ski Mountain and this year has added snow-making equipment and new chairlifts.
- Downhillers can ride chairlifts to the top of Moose and Mystery mountains, then bomb down 35 miles of rocky singletrack.
- Using a gas barbecue is like going rock climbing and taking the chairlift to the top of the mountain.
- In terms of facilities, the mountain offers a mix between older one-person chairlifts, drag lifts, and two modern high-speed chairlifts, one triple and one quad.
- The resort also has a chairlift to carry you to your downhill adventure.
- Every so often there was a comforting buzz and jingle in my ski jacket pocket as the messages came through on chairlifts, on the top of mountains, and in mountain top cafes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.