In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nounPlural Chairmen, Plural chairmen
1presidente masculinepresidenta feminineMadam Chairman — señora presidenta
- Thus, there were very few surprises for her or for the chairman during the meeting.
- It is unlikely that you will ever be asked to adopt the role of chairman involving a meeting of your superiors.
- The chairman may decide to adjourn the meeting, which means that the meeting is not concluded.
- The chairman of the panel of judges is Tom Fewer, local writer and publisher.
- The chairman of the Kildwick Parish Meeting was unavailable for comment.
- Jedec instructed the chairman of each of the meetings to disclose the patent language to its members, and the court found through testimony that the chairmen did indeed comply with the instructions.
- The chairman reported on a meeting with representatives of the bowls club.
- The meeting chairman asked each of the speakers to address a specific question.
- The chairman ended the meeting by wishing all the members a happy New Year.
- That will be a matter for the chairman of the meeting if I allow one to be convened.
- We sang Jerusalem and then our Secretary introduced our Chairman for the day Sue Mcrae.
- The chairman closed the meeting and thanked everyone for their attendance.
- The chairman's statement is considerate of the diverse interests represented by the leaders in the meeting.
- The meeting was presided over by chairman Brendan McNulty, who welcomed the delegates.
- The meeting which was very well attended was presided over by the chairman Martin Nyland.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.