In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Although the predominant style is the traditional log cabin, other styles range from Swiss chalets to upscale modern wooden condominiums.
- But that requires blasting through the forest, barely noticing the isolated clusters of wooden chalets and deserted outbuildings used for summer grazing.
- Outside champagne bottles edged flower beds, and rabbits roamed round hutches which looked more like Swiss chalets.
- He lives in relative seclusion in his enormous Swiss chalet, protected by servants and a devoted wife.
- We stayed at a place that has been recently re-opened called the Kingfisher Lodge, which is a very small lodge with only 4 chalets, around a pleasant swimming pool and in pretty grounds with a variety of trees and birds.
- Four and six-bedroom chalets cost between $85 and $120 a unit per night.
- The wooden interior of the chalet glows invitingly in the soft candlelight.
- Our first ‘camp’ was Eagle Island, which boasts 12 luxury canvas chalets, complete with air-conditioning and decked verandas with wicker chairs and hammocks.
- Later on we converted the attic, and my father built a three-bedroom chalet, which became his den.
- The wooden chalets reminded us of the houses in Himachali villages with the upper floors projecting beyond the ground-level ones.
- Lake District planners have ordered the removal of a holiday chalet which was built without planning permission near Ambleside.
- Today, the Cal Neva has been restored and redeveloped as a complete resort featuring lake view rooms, cabins, and chalets.
- Mr Rogers was staying in a beach chalet when the water from the wave rushed in.
- Geraldine rightly said most of the public rooms, combined with the furnishing, looked like a Swiss chalet.
- Suddenly the wind hit, overtaking the chalet, shaking the wooden balcony out front, and swirling inside, filling the room.
- There are four exclusive Camps and a Safari Lodge, featuring suites and luxury chalets.
- Furthermore, by offering themed restaurants, villa style chalets, water sports and outdoor cycling tracks, Center Parcs has successfully blurred the distinction between leisure and tourism.
- Outside, it looks like a Swiss chalet standing in five acres of its own grounds.
- Guests stay in 26 hotel-style rooms in lodges near the main building or in three-bedroom chalets.
- Conservationists and villagers are opposing a scheme to build holiday chalets at a North Yorkshire trout fishery, because they fear it could become a ‘monster’ tourist attraction.
- The Alphonse hotel complex is a recently-built collection of ‘A’ frame chalets on short stilts.
- The property also has 30 wooden chalets - comfortable but not luxurious.
- There are more than 200 rooms and suites, and several luxury lodges, chalets and cottages.
- Witness for the rugby club, Mr Brian Nolan, who lives in a wooden chalet adjacent to the clubhouse, said he had no problem with the noise levels.
- We poked around in abandoned wooden chalets and our guide told us of the time when laundry was done only twice a year, and bread would be baked on an annual basis and eaten after being dipped in hot soup or water before being consumed!
- Even more incongruous was coming across a town of steeply gabled Swiss chalets nestled in a sea of pine trees in the hills outside Fez.
- There are self-contained cabins and chalets and a lodge with a shared kitchen and lounge with a log fire.
- We're immediately delighted - it may have a flashy strip of gear shops and pizzerias, but there are also flower-decked Swiss chalets and a working cow barn in every side road, with authentic early-morning lowing.
- There are also chalets on the lakeside site at Lochend Chalets, a holiday rental company run by his brother and sister.
- The National Park committee rejected plans to build six chalets behind and five chalets in front of the Buck Inn, Buckden.
- The accommodation is currently limited, but there is a luxury lodge, and a few self-catering chalets and campsites.
- The timber chalets are sold with a seven-year guarantee covering workmanship and materials.
- Then, end the day at a downtown hotel in one of our world-class cities or tucked away in a chateau, chalet, or a cosy seaside inn!
- As well as enjoying the views from his home, Aitken runs the estate as a business, renting out holiday chalets in and around the loch and charging fishermen £25 a day to catch trout.
- More than 12 000 hectares of soft rolling hills teeming with bird and wildlife. Accommodation ranges from self-catering chalets to en-suite lodge rooms and rustic bush camps.
- It's about 50 miles south of Whitehorse on the Alaska Highway and consists of a constellation of chalets surrounding the main lodge, where the meals are served.
- The park has a total of 20 self-catering chalets and 88 campsites.
- I just have to look out of the window at the sun, snow, wooden chalets and mountains.
- Building new holiday chalets at a beauty spot would mean fewer cottages in the area being bought as second homes, it is claimed.
- Western provinces have wooden chalets with steep, pointed roofs, like those in Switzerland, whereas the eastern Danubian houses exhibit more of a Slavic influence, with simple design and stucco plastering.
2British(in motel)bungalow masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.