In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If you are here playing for Rangers you are expected to deliver trophies and the most important one is the championship.
- They won seven Mid Ulster titles, seven Ulster titles and three Irish championships.
- Indeed they had already kicked more points than in any other game of the championship.
- Zambia has met Egypt in the final qualifier of the biennial championship and will play the first leg at home.
- So my aim in the Asian championship was to play games that would be entertaining to the spectators.
- Apart from the fine display of hurling this was also one of the real sporting games of the championship.
- Things are a little different here, as I was to see in one of my first championship matches.
- Surely the old master will accept, double him straight back and win the game and the championship?
- McCoy is cruising to his seventh consecutive jockey's championship.
- Walkden now need only one point from their remaining four games to clinch the championship.
- What a sensational way to win a first ever county minor football championship title.
- The next long course championships for most of our swimmers will be the Commonwealth Games next year.
- She had won three national championships and a bronze medal in the Balkan Championships.
- Two years ago its players created history, capturing the county championship for the first time ever.
- We did not manage to defend our championship title, but this tournament was really outstanding.
- He then captured the jockeys' championship in his second season with a record of 182 winners.
- A victory will give one side a considerable edge in the championship race but defeat won't be the end for the loser.
- Leicester move into fourth place but still have a lot of work to do to seal their place in the championship play-offs.
- This allowed Stirling to go on to add the title to his Bishopscourt championship.
- Menlo College, who was ranked fourth in the division, captured the championship for the first time ever.
- A world championship biking event is coming to England for the first time and will be staged in the local area.
- But we lost both matches in the championship and the league, and I didn't enjoy that one bit.
- Celtic fulfilled a fixture and moved towards a successful defence of their championship yesterday.
- In 1964 he captured the heavyweight championship for the first time in a surprising sixth-round technical knockout of Sonny Liston.
- And he netted the first goal against Manchester City to clinch the league championship at Maine Road in 1960.
- There's no doubting the raw materials they have to construct a championship contender.
- For the first time, an NFL championship game would be decided in sudden-death overtime.
- Since then the pair have travelled the country competing in the championship's monthly race meetings.
- The Laois housewife and mother won yet another senior national cross-country championship at the Aer Lingus Sports Centre on Sunday.
- Petter Solberg clinched his first world rally championship by winning the Wales Rally GB on Sunday.
- He thought he had got their attention when he made the World championship semifinals.
- Although he has won the Pike Hills Scratch Trophy several times, the club championship had eluded him in the past.
- These two titles in Barcelona take his world championship tally of titles to five.
- I remember he came back for the championship game and the coach put him in and I was really upset.
- So what drives them on in search of their fourth national championship title?
- The winner of each division would meet in a championship game at the end of the season.
- The two rivals have been engaged in previous tough tussles for the national championship title.
- It is an almost perfect match-up, which could produce the game of the championship.
- Last night's final in a rainy Stade de France was Campbell's eighth race of the championship.
- Their defence of the Scottish championship may be surrendered before they kick another ball.
2(of cause)defensa feminine
- That would at least be in line with his long-established championship of lost causes.
- Such people are not notable for their championship of libertarian causes outside the economic field.
- When C. P. Scott died, the innumerable tributes to him all emphasized his courage and integrity, his humanitarianism and his championship of unpopular causes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.