In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They are full of whims and fancies, changeable and unpredictable.
- With capital punishment in the news lately, American opinion on the death penalty seems particularly changeable in response to media coverage.
- And obviously, we are finding his word is a very changeable thing.
- The weather can be changeable, varying between sunshine and snow.
- Because businesses operate in a highly changeable environment, they need to respond to changes in a positive fashion thus making them flexible and focused on their game plans.
- Her clinical diagnosis was just as changeable.
- The uncertain economic climate has made the demand for products as changeable as the weather.
- He said: ‘My mood is very changeable and this has put a huge strain on my relationship with my fiancée.’
- The weather is very hot now but it is very changeable and there's been a fair amount of rain lately.
- The sea is unpredictable and difficult and changeable, all the things that filming hopefully isn't.
- Not only that, but what we want, and who we are, is as fluid and changeable as a chameleon.
- It is the second time the race will be there at this time of year rather than in September and high temperatures and changeable weather conditions are expected.
- During changeable weather, the temperature can veer from sub-Mediterranean to Siberian.
- However, some very changeable conditions dogged the first race of the Scottish Flying Fifteen Championships' 25-strong fleet at Loch Earn yesterday.
- Even the changeable, uncertain winds have a pattern and a parameter.
- Then for the past eight or nine months especially, I was busy with the drawing, working both up in the Comeraghs themselves but because the weather was quite changeable, also from a studio.
- The weather of course played a major role in the outcome in 2003, hopefully as the Grand Prix has moved to June there will not be such changeable and unpredictable conditions during the race.
- But changeable wind conditions and a single erratic rain shower soon took its toll, with Carroll demoted down to sixth during a routine pitstop for new tyres.
- The weather is changeable and irregular with a risk of hurricanes, earthquakes, thunder and lightning.
- Public opinion this far before the final November vote is notoriously changeable.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.