In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But the changeless spiritual truth is this: God is absolute goodness.
- Because of this static, changeless quality, the Egyptians obtained a sense of security from their environment.
- Gold has been prized because it is the most inert metal, changeless and incorruptible.
- Pennington says: ‘We have to realise life is changing but in a place like this there are changeless values.’
- Hollywood movies are more or less inclined to present the audience with a changeless pattern, disguised under different kinds of garnishings.
- Life is rich and varied in its everyday detail despite its changeless quality.
- They are supposed to be changeless and are believed to reflect an underlying constancy of nature.
- The church stands like a rock for truth that is changeless.
- A while back I was reminded of Dot the Dauntless, who sustained herself through a long old age perfectly happily and adequately by her changeless routine.
- Looked back upon from revolutionary times, the old regime, good or bad, seemed an age of immobility and changeless routine, when nothing of importance had happened, or could happen.
- Atoms were changeless and ultimate, in the sense that they could not be broken down into anything smaller and had no inner structure on which their properties depended.
- Western learning could not penetrate this changeless order.
- It was unusual for such an energetic young man like him to lead a simple ordinary life looking after his family in a conservative and changeless atmosphere.
- He claimed that evolution was not a gradual process, but occurred in rapid spurts with long periods of changeless plateaus in-between.
- It is incredible to see people, especially Christians, put their faith and trust in the ever-shifting sands of man's evolutionary ideas about history, rather than in the changeless Word of God.
- Yet even clouds cast shadows, and stars keep changeless patterns and turn circles around the earth, but the rainbow was nothing but a brilliant, beautiful, empty glow in a world made fresh by rain.
- Old fogies do best in a changeless environment.
- Angels are almost always shown as young, for they are changeless, so time does not exist for them.
- Certain non-Buddhists who accept rebirth accept the transitory nature of mind and body, but they believe in a self that is permanent, changeless and unitary.
- The hour had a flat changeless quality, as if it had always been there, waiting for him, and would always be here waiting for his return.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.