In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Music Religionsalmodia feminineGregorian/plain chant — canto gregoriano/llano
2(slogan)feminine consignamasculine alirónmasculine cánticofeminine canción
- Perhaps as a moralizing subtext, Alexander piped in a recording of a monastic chant of Psalm 51, a prayer for the remission of sins.
- The first part consists of an antiphonal chant from the Service for the Thursday Preceding Good Friday.
- A noted musicologist whose interests include chant, medieval music and Tudor keyboard music, he has written many chamber and choral pieces.
- Although I enjoy chants and church music quite a bit, I had not, for some time, felt the need to attend a church service.
- At Milan, where at first he used to come to the cathedral to admire Ambrose's oratorical skill, he found himself not only impressed by the content of the discourses but also gripped by the psalm chants.
- Contrast was provided by alternating choral chant with passages sung by soloists.
- It's a style that characterises Byzantine chant, which emerged in the Eastern Church, and is continued in today's Greek Orthodox tradition.
- Symphony No 3 is a more expansive, more fully developed piece which emerged from a protracted period of study of chant and early polyphony.
- He commented that he enjoys singing earlier music particularly, and mentioned chant specifically.
- We must simply accept a phenomenon whereby the sheer beauty of sound in medieval chant has swept so many off their feet.
- I do not complain when the Montreal crowds start the chants but when it's Toronto I feel that they should really just sit down and shut up.
- The rhythmic chant spread through the crowd of hundreds of thousands that filled Kiev's Independence Square on the evening of November 22.
- He was forced to flee the meeting hall under police escort as angry teachers shouted him down with chants of ‘liar, liar, liar’ and flung empty drink bottles from the gallery.
- The sunlight shone across us as we repeated the pundit's chants.
- Pupils at a North Yorkshire school will be able to shout football chants in 10 languages by the end of the week.
- A chant ran through the crowd as the World Cup was brought onto the filed.
- One year, they brought mini-American flags to wave at the opening parade; another year, they shouted cheerleader chants at the first tee.
- He says he's more than just an activist repeating a familiar chant.
- We arrived about two hours early, and listened to various crowd chants.
- On February 15, I was out there with everyone else, signs held high and chants shouted.
- York City football club in England has come up with a novel way of egging on the team: playing crowd chants taped from previous matches.
- Angry townspeople protested in the streets following the explosion, shouting anti-government chants and tossing rocks at security forces.
- And then they are off again, singing and repeating the chant over and over.
- They repeatedly led the crowd in a chant of ‘sign the bill!’
- Brass bands playing patriotic and national folk songs and Lebanon's national anthem were regularly drowned out by deafening chants from the crowd.
- Shouts and chants went up from the crowd as the lights drifted nearer.
- They can empty their pockets buying horns and noisemakers, singing songs, waving flags and shouting chants as if it is 1970.
- Concluding his speech, he led the crowd in a chant of ‘Crack down on corporate crime.’
- He heard the crowd's chants for Cutler and it put fear in his heart.
- The 300 or so demonstrators were in a good mood, laughing, waving signs and banners, beating home-made drums, and, thank goodness, shouting some new chants.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.