In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Traffic was chaotic and every junction was a snarl of cars and beeping horns.
- It also boasts one of the world's most chaotic urban traffic systems.
- From its neat grid of streets which parallel the long waterfront, a more chaotic jumble of lanes wriggle up the hillside.
- In the chaotic world of war and its aftermath, it's hard to distinguish between good and bad.
- On the surface, this world appears very chaotic because of the disruptive new technology.
- Her lifestyle became very chaotic, and there were times when appointments were made but she did not choose to attend.
- The transport system, already chaotic at best, was flung into abject confusion.
- Most people have led a chaotic lifestyle before coming here.
- The processions of thousands of peoples created chaotic traffic situations in the city.
- Most are battling with drink, drugs or both and have chaotic lives that revolve around the next fix and earning the money to pay for it.
- My life feels chaotic, but when I look back over things, I see a shape that I didn't realise was there at the time.
- Work is still chaotic, but at least I have my online friends to keep me occupied and entertained.
- The last few weeks have been chaotic as they organise the wedding.
- All the time, video cameras on the roof are recording the entire chaotic scene.
- How can any sense be made of what may appear to be a chaotic jumble of attitudes?
- But things became even more chaotic yesterday following a security alert at a computer firm in Victoria Road.
- Now, after decades of dictatorship, a chaotic political scene has burst forth.
- The traffic in and around the city has been described as chaotic.
- His arrival in Edinburgh last week was met with chaotic scenes as scores of journalists attended his press launch.
- People are very confused in this chaotic world about what is really the right thing to do.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.