1chaparral masculinematorral masculine
- Ecologically, it's a transition zone between chaparral and yellow pine forest.
- They prefer grasslands, chaparral, and scrub oak areas to forage for food.
- The Appalachian Mountains, Florida swamps, and Texas chaparral became the domain of armed bands of Southern deserters.
- In California, the chaparral and coastal sage shrubs form excellent cover for rodents, rabbits, and birds.
- We spend billions each year in futile attempts to prevent floodplains from flooding, barrier islands from migrating, chaparral from burning, and predators from predation.
- Where chaparral was more evident the cypresses were smaller and scragglier.
- The return trip is all downhill on a sloping hillside of coastal scrub and chaparral.
- In halting English his campfire host told about his dream of settling there amidst the oaks and chaparral, irrigating a vineyard and harvesting honey.
- Wear long pants to protect your legs from the surrounding chaparral.
- Also important are mountain tops or ‘sky islands,’ and in some cases deep, shady canyons, that support chaparral, woodlands, or other communities that are relics of more temperate periods.
- Less than eight inches tall, the annuals are inconspicuous, and were growing in a balding area between full chaparral and non-native grassland.
- Parts of the golf course are adjacent to undeveloped chaparral.
- After years of intense grazing, existing chaparral and coastal scrub communities were largely replaced by nonnative grasses.
- Farther upland, usually between 3,000 and 5,000 feet, is chaparral, where scrub oaks, manzanitas, and various other shrubs join cacti and yuccas.
- Birds and chipmunks feel right at home in this miniature oasis amid the dry chaparral of the Santa Cruz Mountains.
- The thick chaparral of a remote region in the Sespe Wilderness, part of the Los Padres National Forest, in Ventura, California, has concealed a lost herd of desert bighorn sheep for more than five years.
- This species lives exclusively in or near sandy soils within coastal dune and scrub communities and maritime chaparral.
- They are moving incredibly quickly through dried brush and chaparral that practically explode when they ignite, threatening the life of any firefighter nearby.
- The tasting room has a glorious view of shining Lake Mendocino, set off by the dusty chaparral all around.
- Their land is fairly remote, tucked away from customary life on undulating hills and drainage folds that are thickly wooded with live oak and chaparral.