In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of book)capítulo masculinea shameful chapter in our country's history — un capítulo vergonzoso de la historia de nuestro país
- One of the more controversial parts of the new church order is the decision to give Parish Councils, not the cathedral chapters, the power to hire clergy.
- In 1304 he was present at the general chapter of the Dominican order held at Toulouse.
- In 1176 Pope Alexander III resolved the dispute by declaring the cities to be joint-sees and ordering the chapters to hold elections together.
- Most northern chapters of the chivalric orders had salles like this one, and the weather raging outside the thick walls reminded Charrow of why that was.
- Banning admission fees would mean introducing legislation to prohibit charging by independent deans and chapters of cathedrals.
2.2(of fraternity, sorority)sección feminine
- On occasion, the Association has suffered discredit because of the actions or communications of chapters and conferences.
- For every kilometer I walked, I raised money for our local chapter of the American Diabetes Society.
- He serves as president of the local chapter of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, and he is a licensed commercial pilot.
- Local youth and college chapters plan to go back into their communities and hold additional town hall meetings on Social Security.
- My mother covered him with blankets, and a neighbor phoned the local chapter of the Humane Society for help.
- This might be a good time to call your local chapter with a donation or even an offer to volunteer.
- If you live in a big city, you really ought to look into organizing a chapter of your own local bloggers.
- Many of our California Delegates represent our local chapters, and work with the state association to give us a greater presence in these elections.
- This year he's president of the local chapter, which has about 200 members.
- The following are some tips from that seminar which may help your student chapter better use their local associations.
- The headquarters staff also will handle fund-raising mass mailings, with chapters handling more targeted local mailings.
- Their primary purpose was to network and enhance communications between state chapters.
- Local chapters of these organizations appeared throughout the country and even penetrated deeply into many rural areas.
- The first relationship state coordinators develop is with the chairs of the chapters ' legislative committees in their states.
- Talk with someone from your local chapter of the American Cancer Society or a similar organization.
- Organizations devoted to helping people deal with this problem have about 6,000 local chapters altogether.
- This also is the perfect time of year to recruit new members for your local association or collegiate chapter.
- Encourage students to form their own departmental organizations, like a physics club or a chapter of the Society of Physics Students.
- Social clubs, association chapters and labor unions have been in decline for decades.
- Start by deciding how to tell the community about your chapter's activities.
3(of act of parliament)capítulo masculineto file for chapter 11bankruptcy protection — acogerse al capítulo 11 del código de bancarrota (de EEUU)
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.