In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of book)capítulo masculinea shameful chapter in our country's history — un capítulo vergonzoso de la historia de nuestro país
- a chapter of accidents — una serie de desgracias
- chapter and verse — con todo lujo de detalles
- to quote chapter and verse — citar textualmente / palabra por palabra
- One of the more controversial parts of the new church order is the decision to give Parish Councils, not the cathedral chapters, the power to hire clergy.
- Most northern chapters of the chivalric orders had salles like this one, and the weather raging outside the thick walls reminded Charrow of why that was.
- In 1176 Pope Alexander III resolved the dispute by declaring the cities to be joint-sees and ordering the chapters to hold elections together.
- Banning admission fees would mean introducing legislation to prohibit charging by independent deans and chapters of cathedrals.
- In 1304 he was present at the general chapter of the Dominican order held at Toulouse.
2.2(of fraternity, sorority)sección feminine
- For every kilometer I walked, I raised money for our local chapter of the American Diabetes Society.
- Social clubs, association chapters and labor unions have been in decline for decades.
- This year he's president of the local chapter, which has about 200 members.
- On occasion, the Association has suffered discredit because of the actions or communications of chapters and conferences.
- This also is the perfect time of year to recruit new members for your local association or collegiate chapter.
- My mother covered him with blankets, and a neighbor phoned the local chapter of the Humane Society for help.
- Organizations devoted to helping people deal with this problem have about 6,000 local chapters altogether.
- He serves as president of the local chapter of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, and he is a licensed commercial pilot.
- The headquarters staff also will handle fund-raising mass mailings, with chapters handling more targeted local mailings.
- If you live in a big city, you really ought to look into organizing a chapter of your own local bloggers.
- Talk with someone from your local chapter of the American Cancer Society or a similar organization.
- The following are some tips from that seminar which may help your student chapter better use their local associations.
- Local chapters of these organizations appeared throughout the country and even penetrated deeply into many rural areas.
- Local youth and college chapters plan to go back into their communities and hold additional town hall meetings on Social Security.
- This might be a good time to call your local chapter with a donation or even an offer to volunteer.
- The first relationship state coordinators develop is with the chairs of the chapters ' legislative committees in their states.
- Encourage students to form their own departmental organizations, like a physics club or a chapter of the Society of Physics Students.
- Their primary purpose was to network and enhance communications between state chapters.
- Start by deciding how to tell the community about your chapter's activities.
- Many of our California Delegates represent our local chapters, and work with the state association to give us a greater presence in these elections.
3(of act of parliament)capítulo masculineto file for chapter 11bankruptcy protection — acogerse al capítulo 11 del código de bancarrota (de EEUU)
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.