In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(wood) carbonizarsecharred remains — restos carbonizados / calcinados
- The film's central character Vera Drake played by Imelda Staunton, who was nominated for a rash of best actress awards, is a char whose concern for her family and neighbours is the driving force of her life.
- Agnes, our char who comes in once a week and transforms our household chaos into sparkling order, is also a whiz at the sewing machine.
- Agnes, I should explain, is our char who comes twice weekly to make the house sparkle.
- In this, Mike Leigh's first television drama, Mrs Thornley quietly endures a life of unceasing domestic work: as a char for Mrs Stone and at home for her demanding husband, Jim.
- In Ian Talbot's production, the piece is perfectly played by Jennifer Piercey as the char and Martin Ledwith as her fake son.
- Yesterday evening I went round to Katie's for cha and chat.
- Now I have seen many things in my short life and even spent a couple of nights in the Amazon Jungle trying to cook a kebab with a lighter but the sales are another cup of chai altogether.
- And got stuck into my book, while sipping a hot cup of chai.
- Afterwards, we sipped chai in one of the tea stalls which had sprung up in the outer cloisters of the temple.
- This sustained us, along with the countless cups of sweet chai and herb-infused omelettes delivered by the boys at every station.
1(cleaner)mujer de la limpieza femininelimpiadora feminineasistenta feminine Spain
1(do cleaning work)
trabajar haciendo limpiezas
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.