In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Perhaps one characteristic above all else defines explorers.
- A sentimental identification with the underdog is one of our national characteristics.
- The characteristic that distinguishes international politics from internal politics is the absence of government.
- From the same list, I had to choose the characteristics that others would attribute to me.
- These characteristics were presumably inherited from his mother, a German princess.
- To see an apprentice with these qualities and characteristics was not a common sight in the eighties.
- Some sharks have distinct characteristics that set them apart from others.
- Every facial feature and physical characteristic was identical to Alastair's.
- Is Hinduism a religion like others, and what are the principal characteristics which define it?
- Religious dissent is a key characteristic of Scots-Irish identity.
- A distinguishing characteristic of female voters is their caution.
- The slow, melancholic songs are a distinctive characteristic of her music.
- There can be no doubt that soil characteristics do influence wine quality.
- It may seem facile, but teams do reflect the traits and characteristics of their coaches.
- The characteristic which has most marked his career has been his good judgement.
- Each of these has its own characteristics and is therefore distinguishable from the others.
- At the same time, most of these characteristics belong to any good person.
- Whether such characteristics do define what it is to be British today is debatable.
- Sociability is a distinguishing characteristic of the islands and often is commented on by visitors.
- A national characteristic has been identified in numerous scientific trials.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.