In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sima feminineabismo masculinethe yawning chasm between the two brothers — el profundo abismo (que media) entre los dos hermanos
- Far from ameliorating the present social crisis, such plans would only deepen the chasm between rich and poor.
- But there is a chasm between how she is perceived in America and here.
- Genetic variables and years of experience forge a wide chasm between an average athlete and a top professional.
- The chasm between the editorial side and the technology side is more or less accurately replicated when it comes to the layman.
- One year later and the chasm between this side and that side has grown ever wider.
- There was a big chasm between us - we were musical snobs to them and they thought we were elitists.
- The results also highlight a growing chasm between the borough's best and worst performing schools.
- It is clear that there is now a greater chasm between teens and adults.
- The chasm between the wealthy elite and broad layers of the population will only continue to widen under conditions of slump.
- Such comments underscore the chasm between the response of liberals and of socialists to social inequality.
- When an individual lies, he does so to bridge or cover over the chasm between his personal interests and accepted social norms.
- This is what, maybe, contributes to the chasm between leaders and followers and the general social decay.
- At some point, however, it will become increasingly difficult to bridge the chasm between their faith and their values.
- The burghers of Lucern were rich but, in those days, the chasm between the rich and the poor was enormous.
- The closer war seems to get, the larger the chasm between sides grows.
- The geneticist obscures the chasm between her hope and the technical options he is offering.
- The security measures sanctioned by the state serve only to widen the chasm between the powerful and powerless.
- But this served only to enlarge the social chasm between home owning wealth-holders and families with no assets.
- What the current row has exposed is the chasm between East and West.
- That shows the chasm between the views being expressed in this country.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.