In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Male and female members of religious orders took a vow of chastity and ordained priests were obligated to celibacy.
- Programs are screened for scenes that contradict the codes of sexual chastity and religious observance.
- In 1534 they all swore an oath of poverty, chastity and obedience to the pope.
- We have certain core issues we lobby on, including the sanctity of innocent human life, chastity, marriage and the traditional family.
- What he counsels as the proper Christian behavior for them is chastity.
- During that time she has had immense difficulty with her vows of chastity and obedience.
- During that period, a woman was more concerned with preserving her chastity than with saving her life.
- You owe him civil behavior, consideration, and decorum, not a vow of chastity.
- Imagine a particularly ascetic monastic order, whose rule not only enjoins chastity, but forbids sexual desire.
- When Christianity took over, the veil was changed to represent chastity and modesty.
- Religion is an intensely personal matter and is as sacrosanct as chastity.
- Girls are expected to display a number of feminine virtues, particularly modesty and chastity.
- The biblical virtues of modesty, chivalry, chastity and fidelity are ignored.
- Horrified and overcome by guilt, Kate prays constantly for forgiveness and chastity.
- In spite of being single and professing the vow of chastity as a nun, I sometimes feel this way.
- For example, some groups stressed premarital chastity more than others did.
- Mr Cousins sees in this the disorderly, self-defeating aspects of both sexual desire and chastity.
- For the early Christian writers the tree has even become the symbol of chastity.
- It is mystical and ascetic, with the sisters observing vows of poverty, chastity and silence.
- The authors also fail to understand that for Jesuits chastity is a way of relating to God, not just to other people.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.