In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cinturón de castidad masculine
- The nearly fifty items included a European iron chastity belt next to an English male anti-masturbation device.
- Unlike the chastity belt, which functions literally to lock up the wife's private parts, the marriage girdle functions in a figurative sense, as a sign that the woman is off limits for other men's use.
- Virginity doesn't imply being locked up with a chastity belt - today virginity means having respect for your body.
- His most controversial works are probably his anti-rape devices, which have the appearance of high tech medieval chastity belts.
- ‘I should think a chastity belt might be a good start,’ said Carolyn.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.