In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(jingoism)chovinismo masculinepatriotería feminine
- This ought be done very vigorously - without any concession to racial, national or cultural chauvinism.
- I have no sense of, objectively, how great he is deemed to be in the canon - especially outside of England where parochialism, patriotism and chauvinism inevitably play their part.
- All of them, deeply mired in nationalism and chauvinism, have squarely lined up behind their ‘own’ regime in its preparations for war.
- The Seattle protests were noteworthy for the relative absence of nationalism and chauvinism, but without the above perspective these sentiments have grown.
- A definite environment has been created of blind patriotism and chauvinism.
- Patriotism is chauvinism, no doubt about it, and Turton is ready to say so.
- But when we are busy condemning national chauvinism, religious hatred and war crimes abroad, it is no time to whitewash our own past.
- It rests on aggressive xenophobia, chauvinism, fanatical imperial ambitions and fascist demagogy.
- Nothing must be allowed to subvert the text; no optimism springing from political chauvinism or national frenzies.
- Their investment in nationalistic chauvinism has dangerous implications.
- They would not be tempted by nationalism or chauvinism which could provoke regional instability, nor would they be tempted to develop and equip their armed forces with nuclear weapons.
- In fact, it was the aggressive chauvinism of the industrialists, the middle classes and the press which had created the climate that led inexorably to war, even among the Central Powers.
- Instead of breaking the power of the clergy and the landowners and liberating the religious and national minorities, they relied on oppression and chauvinism.
- Nonetheless, they have nothing to do with chauvinism or nationalism and are based on the centuries old history of Russian statehood.
- And with intoxicated minds, nationalism can easily turn into chauvinism when it comes to judge other cultures.
- Why would I let a bit of nationalist chauvinism get in the way?
- Should I, this civic nationalist, disdain raw chauvinism, empathise with these nice, troubled young English people and remember just how badly they want this prize?
- These are gross exaggerations aimed at fanning chauvinism.
- By depicting 1812 as a time when all Russians were comrades with a single goal, it expressed the idea of Russian nationality without arrogance or chauvinism.
- Separatism and the politics of nationalism and ethno-linguistic chauvinism are a trap for the working class.
2(sexism)male chauvinism — machismo masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.