In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mate masculinejaque mate masculine
- But neither player could deliver checkmate, so a draw was agreed on move 49.
- I got his queen, then he got mine, so I got a pawn to his side and got him in checkmate.
- The author next introduces the concept of checkmate, which is, after all, what one seeks to achieve in the game.
- This is a fun book that will help many players, either as a basic starting point in the study of checkmate tactics or as a refresher.
- A dream of every chess player is to win the game with a quick checkmate.
- Resignation occurs in the vast majority of tournament games, while actual checkmates are quite rare.
- This could be a checkmate if it weren't for Floyd's knight in the way.
- Throwing in the proverbial towel is, however, not an option according to the rules of this particular contest, which state that the game can only end with checkmate or stalemate.
- Yet in spite of the significance of these developments we should remember the main objective in chess - checkmate ends the game.
- For example, it is not possible to force a checkmate with a king and two knights against a lone king.
- I couldn't take it with the king or I would be moving into checkmate.
- Can I now just force checkmate with a sequence of checks?
- After that, Leon would be able to put him into a checkmate.
- If you know what you're doing, and keep at it long enough, you'll eventually achieve a checkmate.
- To move her bishop to strike his knight would leave the king open on two sides without escape, a checkmate.
- This seemed logical enough since it allowed easy development and also allowed me to aim for the four-move checkmate!
- He was fresh out of ideas, and his next move could be checkmate.
- The King is very close to the corner of the board and Black threatens checkmate in two!
- A final blow, White now threatens checkmate in one move and Black is lost by force.
- Baker's whole game plan seems to be based on checkmate.
1darle (jaque) mate a
- Once Matt checkmated him, and twice Rick stalemated him.
- Ray knew as well as Leon did that there wasn't a single move that Chris could make that wouldn't give Leon an opportunity to checkmate him.
- Leaning forward to his opponent he moves all pieces from both sides around the board until he has finally checkmated his way to victory.
- The times your own pieces have been blocked by the knights and bishops you seem bent on protecting, leaving me free to checkmate you, are uncountable.
- I can just keep on checking you, forcing you to move where I want you to before I bring down my other pieces and checkmate.
- But taking the knight left my rook a wide open path to move across the board and checkmate your king.
- The answer to the puzzle hinges on a chess problem Oliver Garland counts on his son to solve, wherein black can checkmate white in two moves or less.
- ‘It looks like checkmate to me,’ Dravis commented.
- After he checkmated her the second time, she sighed and sat back after knocking her king over.
- But that day things went in our favour and Humpy checkmated her opponent.
- I was checkmated on move 27; Mr. Kasparov had moved on to examine the position on the board to my left before I'd even realized that the game was over.
- Surprisingly enough I even managed to checkmate the computer, though I think I had some help from my companion.
- It is a rule of chess that we win the game by checkmating the king.
- Black is seated across from you and makes one move, and you are checkmated.
- As a consequence, it is theoretically possible to play a perfect game of chess - that is, both players could always work out the exact sequence of optimum moves, right through to checkmate.
- Good Chess players rarely play a game to checkmate: they resign when it becomes clear they cannot win in other words, when the game has ceased to be dramatic.
- I had one middle-aged student who stubbornly refused to castle, saying that his King would be trapped in the corner and checkmated.
- The object of the game is to checkmate your opponent's king.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.