In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in supermarket)caja femininebefore noun checkout assistant — cajero masculine
- checkout boy — cajero
- checkout counter — caja
- checkout girl — cajera
- There will be displays, T-shirts and no smoking information leaflets available at every checkout.
- It includes a bar-code reader so you can scan your own purchases and zoom through checkout.
- The supermarket group found itself caught up in the battle, because customers kept complaining to checkout staff about the charges.
- The two girls on the checkouts near where it happened were quite shaken up.
- In a large supermarket, phone top-ups will be available at all checkouts and will become part of a family's weekly shopping basket.
- Those clerks who weren't too shaken dutifully ran their goods through checkout.
- We didn't allow people into the store because it would have caused chaos at the checkouts.
- You get so many grumpy people on checkouts and in shops these days and you feel as though you're a burden to them.
- Many shop layouts and checkouts had to be rethought since plastic bags have to be reclassified as a product for sale and staff had to be trained to pack items more economically and safely.
- The new system will not replace traditional checkouts or checkout assistants.
- So I say leave Christmas Day alone, shopworkers want to be with their families at this time of year, not stuck behind some checkout.
- Always up for a laugh when he worked on the grocery checkouts, Brian used to send his co-workers off around the building on wild goose chases looking for something that didn't exist.
- I have to chug this heavy thing back to checkout and the line here is terrible.
- American life poses challenges for those who have not seen escalators, refrigerators, traffic lights, and scan-your-own grocery checkouts.
- Registers will convert bar codes at checkout into orders for restocking shelves.
- The tokens are given to customers after they pay for their goods at checkout.
- I was the first male checkout operator they had, and looking back on my time there, although it was a bit boring occasionally, it was a great place to work.
- When shopping, buy cold food like meat and poultry last, right before checkout.
- He was standing in front of two new checkout aisles with what can only be described as a throbbing bank of technology behind him.
- Some can be programmed to offer additional items that may be of interest to your customer during checkout.
2(in hotel)checkout time — hora en que se debe dejar libre la habitación
- The rate includes daily American breakfast for one or two persons and late checkout.
- We had walked in silence from the hotel checkout to the streets again.
- When I reported this to the desk upon checkout, they told me I should have told them sooner.
- It's usually such a rush the next day with an early flight or at least a somewhat early checkout required in most hotels.
- Although we had express checkout, I had some small matter to clear up with the front desk.
- The hotel staff had no problem at all extending our checkout time until our arranged pickup.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.