In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- When he entered he was stopped by a security guard at the entrances checkpoint.
- The documents were taken from them when they tried to travel abroad at border checkpoints.
- Meanwhile, the Immigration Department will deploy 360 additional staff at border checkpoints to ensure smooth passenger flow.
- Wednesday's statement said the two sides had decided to get rid of almost all barriers and checkpoints during the December 13-25 period.
- His first point was to show me that there were no checkpoints or other barriers.
- Security checkpoints have been set up at every entrance, anyone entering the site will have to walk through a metal detector and there will be also be closed circuit television covering the area.
- I took the back road passing through an abandoned checkpoint on the border.
- The new system introduced at the border checkpoints involves more close screening of those arriving and departing.
- To strengthen border security and to combat smuggling, Pakistan is setting up more checkpoints along the border.
- He led both of us to a table at a security checkpoint just inside the entrance.
- Two young female staff aides carried it right through a security checkpoint.
- Before entering Jerusalem, we were stopped by border police at a checkpoint.
- With the right software, photographs of missing children could be sent to all border checkpoints and directorates of the Interior Ministry within seconds, he said.
- Fearful of another attack, people attempted to flee the bridge in both directions, but were hemmed in by the crowd and security checkpoints at the bridge entrance designed to restrict entry to just one or two individuals.
- The two prime minters also expressed their readiness to open new border checkpoints and to improve the efficiency of those already in use for passengers and cargo.
- He was almost exhausted by the run from the entrance to the security checkpoint.
- He said that one of the main measures against the criminal groups, whose sources of income included smuggling, was to place security cameras at border checkpoints.
- Gardai will man checkpoints at the different entrances.
- Eradication of corruption at border checkpoints and improved collection of custom and excise duties were the topics on the agenda.
- Placing barrier checkpoints and guards at the foot of the mountain is also part of the plan.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.