In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the past, it was mainly chequebooks that people would use for impulse buys but now credit cards have completely taken over.
- People pulled out their checkbooks and dropped bills into our bucket.
- First-time buyers can once again put away their chequebooks.
- Not only that, the chief executives of media companies tended to be football supporters as well: fans with fat chequebooks.
- He added that all he wanted to do was to return to using a chequebook with a cheque guarantee card, which is why he returned his PINs to the bank.
- A large chunk of its nearly $3 million budget came from their personal checkbooks.
- As soon as the story disappears from the front page, our charitable tendencies begin to fade, and the chequebook returns to the inside pocket.
- Then tell his parents to get their chequebook out.
- But don't put your chequebooks away, it will be ready soon.
- The people with the chequebooks at production studios preferred to play it safe and give the green light to directors to do what they do best.
- Further inspection of the small print is required before you whip out your chequebook and pen.
- These are papers written by local people for local people, without the aid of chequebooks - and with a respect for the truth.
- However, fewer people carry the checkbook to pay for purchases in stores.
- I think about her every time my fingers touch a keyboard or turn the page of a book or balance my checkbook.
- It's also an opportunity of a lifetime to be noticed, because all the provincial coaches will be there, with chequebooks flapping in back pockets.
- I buy shares when they look cheap, and if others wish to ditch their shares in the summer, I could be ready and waiting with my chequebook in hand.
- It was only when they got their chequebooks out that I took them seriously.
- That is a good exit strategy for all small businesses, although no one is waving chequebooks under our noses just at the moment.
- However, as I said earlier, these defensive frailties can be easily rectified without reaching for the chequebook.
- In Washington, personal responsibility clearly does not apply to companies that may not be able to balance their books but know how to open their checkbooks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.