In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(young chicken)pollito masculinepollita femininepolluelo masculinepolluela feminine
- I also used domestic chicks with prior experience of both prey types as predators.
- In the battle against bird flu, international health authorities must handle a thriving legal trade in live birds and chicks.
- A good hatch from a small incubator is indicated when 70 percent or more of the eggs hatch, and the chicks are active and fluffy.
2(young bird)pichón masculinepichona femininepolluelo masculinepolluela feminine
- The newly hatched chicks run to shore from the burrows, enter the water, and swim to the parents.
- This spring, we've watched as the mother falcon warmed her eggs and saw the falcon chicks right after they hatched.
- Scientists have discovered there is a bird that can detect cuckoo chicks in the nest.
- After about eighteen days' incubation, one or two chicks will hatch, fledge, and begin to whisper the blue-throat song.
- The Polynesians also accidentally introduced rats, which may have fed on the eggs and chicks of ground-nesting birds.
- Cuckoos con other birds into rearing their chicks because it's so much easier than doing it themselves.
- They climb trees with ease and prey on birds, chicks and eggs in their nests.
- In the wild it's the father bird that hatches the eggs and protects the chicks from the mother bird who would kill them.
- You won't need to be patient if you're looking for Peregrine Falcon chicks.
- After the experiment, we monitored the experimental birds until chicks fledged.
- More and more birds are losing chicks and returning to nest the following year instead of skipping a year.
- A parent feeds only its own chick in the crèche, recognizing the chick by its call note.
- He hatched and hand-reared 22 chicks at the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust in Slimbridge, which is home to the largest colony of breeding flamingoes in the county.
- Yet, the presence of cowbird chicks is often accompanied by a reduction of the number of host chicks and fledglings.
- Young chicks are brooded for an unknown period of time after hatching.
- The young chicks fledge or leave the nest in around 60 days and become fully independent in 14 more days.
- But if the mothers are late returning from the ocean with food, the newly hatched chicks will die.
- These birds eat mice, chicks and any small animal they can find.
- Parent birds rarely succeed in rearing both of their chicks.
- They climbed trees and devoured eggs, chicks, and birds.
3slang(young woman)muchacha femininechavala feminine Spain informalpebeta feminine River Plate informalcabra feminine Chile informal
- You'll see lots of attractive chicks with nothing to do and no real job descriptions.
- He used his role as a journalist to meet high school chicks, and the nation is outraged, simply outraged that a journalist would manipulate someone in that way.
- It is more important to be you than to be the hottest chick or guy in school.
- He's the kind of guy that'd be interested in Goth punk chicks, not girls like me.
- The most puzzling situation happens when a chick rejects you for a less attractive male.
- You'll be hard-pressed to find a Western chick that is as feminine as your average Japanese girl and as petite and kind-hearted.
- Both chicks, I have to say, are stunningly attractive; classic beauties who radiate an unmediated sexiness.
- A slight catfight was going on between a popular bimbo chick and a new girl.
- I keep forgetting broads don't like it when you call them chicks.
- I'm never going to skate quite like they are, I'm never going to attract as many chicks.
- Even when she became fashionable and the school chick, she still remained my stubborn, loyal friend, willing to defend me.
- You should see all those hot chicks near the school grounds!
- There was a chick from Cross High School that Sam recognized.
- Why work out when you can wow the chicks with these beauties!
- If you were a woman you'd be a girly girl and grungy chicks aren't your thing.
- I'm not one of those groupie chicks who only likes sports for the hot babe action.
- If you think of girl bands merely as hot chicks who can sing and dance, think again.
- Dumb blond actress chicks look really good up on a big movie screen or on the pages of a magazine.
- Beauty contests should be about hot chicks in skimpy outfits.
- Were he and his gift for healing a big hit with the chicks in high school?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.