In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Zoologypollo masculineshe's no (spring) chicken — no es ninguna niña / nena
- to play chicken — jugar a ver quién es más gallito
- don't count your chickens (before they're hatched) — no hay que vender la piel del oso (antes de cazarlo)
- he's already counting his chickens — está como la lechera del cuento
2Cooking pollo masculinefeminine gallinabefore noun chicken liver — hígado de pollo masculine
- The sauce also goes well with leftover roast, chicken, turkey or ham.
- For example, chickens and turkeys can escape most of the harms just described.
- The male chickens have dark yellow feet whereas the female chickens have light yellow feet.
- The main course was a pristine roast chicken with herbs and bacon and mashed potatoes along with mixed vegetables.
- The sauce is good served with roast chicken, steak or grilled fish.
- As per traditional Indian thinking, seeing a brood of chickens along with a hen is a bad omen.
- Most of us think we're familiar with the sounds of the domestic chicken, but not all fowl calls are created equal.
- The preferred meat is mutton, but chicken, beef, and camel also are consumed.
- They were also asked to decrease intake of red meat, substituting chicken, fish, and skim milk as protein sources.
- This brief summary demonstrates the level of understanding that has been gained in studying the scutate scales of the chicken.
- Believe me, the beef, pork, chicken and other meats are very expensive.
- Everyone has seen at least a few gallinaceous birds, since domesticated chicken and turkeys are in this category.
- The meats consisted of soft shelled crab covered in spices, tender roast beef and chicken.
- This tells us that she won't eat red meat, chicken, pork, fish or seafood.
- Some braised beef or roast chicken, for example, would be a welcome addition.
- Each of the three compartments contained either a chicken, a rooster or an egg.
- Roast beef, chicken, seafood, steak, and savory stews were among the typical fare.
- The main types of meat are pork, chicken, and mutton.
- The decline was more pronounced among women who ate a high percentage of non-dairy animal protein, such as red meat, chicken, turkey and pork.
- My husband and I don't eat red meat or chicken; my parents, who do, call us ‘vegetarians.’
- Corn, rice, and peas are eaten with meats such as chicken, fish, pork, and beef.
- This includes all previously allowed items plus red meat, chicken, and well-cooked vegetables.
- When it comes to making a sacrificial gift to the gods, they prefer to slaughter a male chicken.
- We walked very quietly around the yard to try and find the chickens and roosters who were hiding in one of the stables.
- As birds go, the domestic chicken is hardly built for high-performance flight.
- This mighty bird, the chicken of chickens, is brilliantly colored with feathers of red, green, brown, black, and gold.
- Just as it sounds, a fertile egg has been fertilized by a male chicken and could potentially become a chick.
- Domesticated animals such as chickens and pigs were raised in the same area.
- The disappearance of chickens in many farmyards and back gardens must have reduced the availability of food.
- He tried his medicine on young chickens which were given the concoction twice a week.
- Smoke rose from the center, where open fires roasted chicken and other meats.
- These people tended to avoid red meat but ate chicken and fish.
- She lived on the top floor while all her hens and chickens clucked happily on the ground level.
- When I am given a choice of meats, I choose white meat such as chicken or fish over steak.
- We had a delicious meal of steak, roast chicken, mashed potatoes and salad.
- Concentrate on eating vegetables, fruits and whole grains, and choose chicken rather than red meat.
- However, the animals sacrificed in these rites have been chickens and hens.
- I understand, and have seen at first hand on several occasions what a fox can do to a flock of chickens, or other domestic fowl.
- The Portuguese introduced the domestic pig, chickens, olives, and salt cod as well as coffee and tea.
- Three younger girls chase a chicken around in circles.
informal, child language
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.