In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I tried the Rajasthan chicken, described as being smeared with fresh ginger and chillies and a coriander sauce.
- Make shallots, garlic, red chilies, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground pepper, trassi and turmeric into a paste.
- A more Americanised version would be topped with grated cheddar and pickled jalapeno chillies, or sour cream and paprika.
- I cooked Thai fish with dried whole chilies, coriander, lemon grass, soy, and pepper; and served it with fluffy white rice, stir-fried veggies, and mushroom soup.
- Add onion, garlic, chilies, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste, and continue cooking until onion is softened.
- The barbecued ribs (lacquered with a sweet sauce made with ancho chilies and guava) were stacked like little logs and fell neatly off the bone.
- Mix the olive oil, crushed chillies and thyme leaves with sea salt and black pepper.
- To make it palatable, he has used tomatoes, tamarind sauce, onions, chillies and a drop of virgin Olive oil.
- A typical paste will contain lots of chiles, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, galangal, shrimp paste, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Seasonings for marinades run the gamut from herbs, spices, garlic, and chilies to fish sauce, salts, olives, and onions.
- What he didn't tell you is that there were onions, garlic, oregano and chilies in the sauce, too.
- Starting from crushed tomatoes, add oregano, basil, thyme, chilies, real Parmesan, fresh garlic and more.
- The kulcha naan was stuffed with vegetables, onions, fresh chillies and covered with coriander.
- This food grouping includes corn, beans, and squash, but is also enriched by the addition of chilies, cactus, maguey, and amaranth.
- Next came the omelets: eggs with chopped onions, green chilies, minced cilantro, and a spice that I could not recognize but assumed was a version of black pepper.
- And zesty salsa and smoky chipotle chilies replace the chili sauce for a more interesting interplay of flavors.
- Mushrooms, apricots, asparagus, a variety of chilies and numerous spices are grown in abundance in nearly all the valleys.
- It was roasted lobster, sole and lobster ‘caviar’ with saffron-tarragon polenta, olives, chiles, peppers and fennel.
- My friend and I tried the spaghettini with roasted garlic, parsley, pine nuts, chilies and olive oil.
- You can also garnish meals with 1 tablespoon of spicy condiments like salsa and chutney, or use fresh spices like chiles, garlic, ginger, and onions liberally in cooking.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.