In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1deshollinador masculinedeshollinadora feminine
- A chimney sweep who has kept Ryedale's home fires burning safely for the last 15 years is appealing for someone to replace him - so he can hang up his brushes for good.
- Is it wedged safely next to the wall where only a small chimney sweep of a child could wriggle through?
- Fellow chimney sweep Nick Bowkett, 39, has been cleaning chimneys across the town for 17 years.
- Senior officials of Killarney Town Council is to issue a formal apology to a local chimney sweep for incorrectly informing residents that he had retired from business.
- But she was so grateful, she enlisted Mr Eagles' expertise in his new career as a chimney sweep.
- An aura of tackiness, exploitation and misery clings to British child stars - they are pop's equivalent of a Victorian chimney sweep.
- As the final step in the cleaning, the chimney sweep will usually clean out the inside of the fireplace to remove the dislodged debris, then vacuum up any dust or soot.
- Now, I was brought up by my father on the principle never to wrestle with a chimney sweep, because whatever you do you can't come out clean.
- The basic task of a chimney sweep is to clean chimneys.
- When was the last time you or your neighbor had your chimney inspected or cleaned by a chimney sweep?
- They did invite a chimney sweep who is supposed to bring good fortune.
- You want to pick out a chimney sweep who's certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America.
- ‘No, it's not out of pity,’ Amy shook her head, ‘How can he pity her when he's the one working as a chimney sweep and roaming around the dirty streets?’
- I finally broke down this past week and hired a professional chimney sweep to clamber up on our roof and clear away the 8-inch buildup of ice that clogged the intake and exhaust vents of our gas fireplace insert.
- Marie Middleton, a 22-year-old from Grassington, hit the national headlines after the Herald reported she was to become a chimney sweep.
- Joe was born in Halifax in 1863 and started part-time work at the age of five, helping his father, Henry, a chimney sweep.
- He instead became a chimney sweep, offering his services to weddings where the presence of a sweep traditionally brought good luck.
- He was taller, much taller, and no longer covered in soot like he had been during his days as a chimney sweep.
- Shane McCarthy is a Berkeley-educated chimney sweep, plying his trade in the mercurial atmosphere of dot-com bubble San Francisco circa 1999.
- A chimney sweep greeted the bride and groom as they left the church.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.