In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Rodentia also includes beavers, muskrats, porcupines, woodchucks, chipmunks, squirrels, prairie dogs, marmots, chinchillas, voles, lemmings, and many others.
- The first stop allows youngsters to feed the deer and sheep, then the party moves onwards to stroke the ducks and, finally, to feed the rabbits, rats, mice, guinea pigs, chinchillas, hamsters and terrapins.
- If you've got chinchillas or hamsters or any other small furry creatures, there is more than a trip to the microwave in store for them when it comes to playtime.
- There was also a pets competition for children who arrived with chinchillas, hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits.
- Unfortunately, chinchillas are nearly extinct in the wild, so little is known of their behavior under natural conditions.
- True, there may be a great many cuter animals - koalas, chinchillas, moomins and ewoks to name but a few, but guinea pigs reap extra appeal due to their peculiar nature.
- He personally has freeze-dried weasels, deer, chipmunks, squirrels, guinea pigs, chinchillas, ferrets, and more.
- It turns out that chinchillas and cotton-top tamarins can do a lot of the same things.
- Miranda, 32, lives just outside Bristol with her husband and two chinchillas.
- Last I heard they were raising chinchillas in the Dominican Republic.
- Living caviomorphs include guinea pigs, chinchillas, and capybaras, which at 50 kg weigh in as the largest living rodents.
- The reality is that it takes the barbaric murder of 50 chinchillas or other furry animals, on average, to produce a full-length coat.
- I was trapped for about half an hour with the chinchillas jumping around chewing on my hair.
- The common name of these rats is probably due to their long, dense, and soft fur, which is sometimes sold in fur markets, although it is not as desirably as that of true chinchillas (Chinchillidae).
- The rodent also seems to be an ancestor of the hystricognaths, a group of rodents that is spread across the globe and includes porcupines, African mole rats, guinea pigs, and chinchillas.
- An animal-loving teenager was left ‘devastated’ after the theft of two chinchillas.
- The guinea-pig belongs to the family of Cabiidae, which is genetically closer - despite its appearance - to the chinchilla or the porcupine than to the mouse or the rat.
- They are definitely not rats or squirrels, and are only vaguely like a guinea pig or a chinchilla.
- Is it closest to the mole rats, or porcupines, or even chinchillas?
- Other unusual finds include a couple of chinchillas and 16 dogs that had been left in the Louisiana State University Medical Center, Bafalis says.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.