In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine caballerosidadfeminine cortesíaHistory caballería femininethe age of chivalry — los tiempos de la caballería andante
- (the age of) chivalry is not dead — aún quedan caballeros
- All the courageous deeds and tales of chivalry that they had so eagerly talked about were so far away now, like a faint memory just out of reach.
- Only the nobility participated in warfare, using the symbol of medieval chivalry, the chariot.
- The scale rewards honor, chivalry and courage, but also deducts for blatant foolishness and sheer idiocy.
- The festival of music, dance, martial arts and medieval chivalry will showcase a variety of costumes, colour and culture.
- Many such characters desperately need a ‘code’ to live by, like the social code of chivalry for Don Quixote.
- The war was fought with heavy loss of life and notable courage and chivalry on both sides.
- More resonantly, Joan, due to her chastity, courage, chivalry, piety and intelligence, personified an exceptional female figurehead.
- Like many before and since, Chandler saw the detective as embodying the medieval conception of chivalry.
- I figure that chivalry, honour, friendship and, of course, romance are all part of film noir as is the inner darkness of the central character - usually - and certainly the villains.
- He was adored by his men, not least for his courage, chivalry and handsome appearance.
- During the Middle Ages, chivalry was a code of brave and courteous conduct for knights.
- The full flowering of the ideals of knighthood and chivalry is found in poetry in the high Middle Ages.
- With the absence of humility, yet his important role in society and his ideals of chivalry, Beowulf was the definition of a hero in his own time.
- He was also encouraged to display the virtues of chivalry, a code of conduct created by the clergy to curb the brutality of this order of knights.
- However, Brooks' point is that ambition crowds out other cultivated qualities, such as chivalry.
- The code of chivalry that embodied the knightly ideals - honor, generosity and courtesy - became the code of honor of the gentleman, and the foundation of fencing etiquette.
- It speaks of jousts, tournaments, wizards, falconry, enchantresses, damsels in distress, wars, quests, and the code of chivalry.
- A code of behavior, chivalry, evolved from these feudal contests of skill.
- A court dealing with his appeal over an earlier confrontation heard that from a young age he had been regaled with stories of daring deeds, courage and chivalry in the SAS, told by his father, Tony.
- Who does not remember the eccentric hero who chose to live in the medieval world of chivalry and thought of himself as a knight in shining armour?
- Orders of chivalry had their origins in the religious orders of the Medieval Church, and in particular those created in the Holy Land during the crusades.
- There were the Knights of the Round Table, vowed to the highest ideals of chivalry, and the greatest of them, Sir Lancelot, who, of course, has a tragic love affair with the Queen.
- Louis IX of France, canonized after his death, was in his lifetime a model of chivalry, justice, and piety for western Christendom, at once a rival and an exemplar to the English king.
- This is the man whom folklorists and historians - by unimaginable mental and moral gymnastics - have endowed with qualities of quixotic chivalry, and set up as a national hero.
- What is the big idea behind chivalry or expecting a man to do things that might seem unnatural to him?
- Manuals of chivalry exhorted the ideal man of arms to be temperate to preserve the fighting edge.
- It was at this court, and at her daughter Marie's in Champagne, that the codes of chivalry and of courtly love were established, in close contact with the great ladies.
- However, Woo does not celebrate this violence, but rather uses it to represent a nostalgia for a lost code of honor and chivalry that he sees as necessary for human survival.
- It was the idea of chivalry and courage that appealed.
- Later medieval chivalry has been criticized for being decadent and other-worldly, yet it never lost touch with the changing military dimensions of war nor was blind to its bloody realities.
- Once again, chivalry and morals, my friends, will take you places.
- The fact that you were a woman did not absolve you from keeping to the ideals of chivalry, in times of crisis and in your ordinary life.
- Saladin, as in most of the medieval chronicles, represents chivalry.
- In that imaginary reality what drives people to act in one way or another is ideas of honour, chivalry, nobility and heroism.
- Loyalty, honesty, frankness, gratitude, chivalry, magnanimity - these are the hallmarks of the good friend, the good husband and father, the nice guy we all hope our daughters will marry.
- For a moment, I felt like I had been transported back in time, into a medieval world of chivalry and magic.
- She was impressed by his attention to the codes of chivalry.
- They will consider different interpretations of the famous clash of August 22nd, 1485, within the broader context of medieval warfare and chivalry.
- This is reinforced by the final exchange between Gawain and the Green Knight where the poet shows the way he feels feudalism should work - by banishing courtly love and women from the code of chivalry.
- Joan united ‘to her maidenly virtues the martial courage and ardor of the noblest knights of chivalry,’ the author argued.
- The article stressed the explicit Catholicity of Christian chivalry, comparing the ideals that bound knights to service with the characteristic vows of Catholic monastic life.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.