In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She kissed him, tasting the chlorine from the pool and the ice tea that he had been sipping.
- As chlorine is a bleaching agent, this may also have effects on the health of your hair and skin.
- Once in the upper atmosphere, the energy from the Sun causes the chlorine to be released.
- The blue was fading to a dull chlorine green, the fuchsia sprouting roots of over an inch.
- In the preceding example the aluminum has a valency of three and the chlorine has a valency of one.
- A lifeguard dove into the greenish chlorine filled water and lifted Hope out of the pool.
- The green chlorine gas rolled over the Allied frontline and it created panic.
- The anion that is left behind is a cluster of carbon, chlorine, and boron atoms.
- It said the chlorine leaked from a leftover tank that hadn't been sealed off completely, the agency said.
- Rinse shampoo out of your hair thoroughly and wash and condition it well after swimming in a chlorine filled pool.
- Right now, the chlorine in the pool keeps Crocker's hair from growing past his ears.
- And my eyes don't feel like they are on fire with the chlorine getting in them.
- Daniel stopped swimming for a second, he looked up and rubbed his eyes free of the chlorine that was burning his eyes.
- Once chlorine has combined with other chemicals it is not effective as a disinfectant.
- In table salt, sodium atoms donate one electron each to chlorine atoms, making the sodiums positively charged ions and the chlorines negatively charged ions (called chloride).
- Usually it's brittle from all the chlorine at the pool, and flat from wearing a woolly hat, but now it's blow dried and bouncy.
- The only other ongoing upkeep necessary is the monitoring of the chlorine balance every couple of days.
- It's just that the doctor had ordered against this because the chlorine could hurt her eye.
- I love the smell of the chlorine in the morning, and the way the water sounds when it rushes pass my ears.
- Bacteria are very sensitive to chemical disinfectants such as chlorine and iodine.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.