In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1chocolate masculine(egg) de chocolatea bar of chocolate — una pastilla / tableta de chocolate
- plain / dark / semi-sweet chocolate — chocolate amargo
- The choices were biscotti, muffins, quick bread, chocolate cake, and cookies.
- Alternatively, I could have selected muesli cookie, Dundee cake, chocolate cake or even shortbread.
- She was also banned from eating potassium-rich food including chocolate, mince pies and fruit.
- There was no running water and the only food available was chocolate from the theatre bar.
- With its higher percentages of cocoa solids and cocoa butter, this is what hard-core chocolate craving is all about.
- We went to M&S to buy cookies and chocolate cornflake cakes to share with the team, and munched them with mugs of hot tea.
- The only foods previously available were chocolate bars, candy, potato chips and pop.
- It's sunny and bright and an endless source of conversation over tea and chocolate biscuits.
- She enjoys Italian food, chocolate biscuits and reading endless amounts of books.
- He has also taken his first solid foods - chocolate buttons, mashed potatoes and gravy.
- So that's the banned list, and the general ground rules for chocolate treat inclusion.
- Sumptuous chocolate confectons like Sacher tortes carry the perfume of decadence.
- After many hours without food, that first chocolate bar from the rescue team tasted really good.
- The squillionair was a combination of biscuit, toffee, chocolate with an icing decoration.
- Another delicacy known as ‘truffle’ belongs to the realm of chocolate confectionery.
- The packed lunches were found to be high in fat because of crisps, chocolate bars, biscuits and the amount of butter and margarine used.
- There was roast chicken for dinner, and chocolate ice-cream for dessert, washed down with good fresh water.
- Look, you do not need to coat the bottom of a chocolate chip cookie with chocolate.
- It is these dried beans, with their yeasty aroma, that are roasted and processed into chocolate.
- For comfort food I don't think anything can beat a good old plain Cadbury's chocolate bar.
1.2(candy, sweet)bombón masculinea box of chocolates — una caja de bombones
- before noun chocolate liqueur — bombón de licor
- All we were offered were packets of sweet custard creams and chocolates.
- Queen Mary had a very sweet tooth and always had a big box of chocolates beside her as she worked on her embroidery.
- He is also working with Blumenthal on chocolates flavoured with the essence of fresh mown grass and leather.
- Like a box of good chocolates, I prefer a restrained approach to a book, savouring no more than one or two chapters a day.
- Joy, whose family owns a cocoa plantation in Trinidad, makes her own chocolates by hand.
- They sent me a two pound box of chocolates for my birthday, which is later this week.
- When I was five, she bought me chocolates and chewing gum and we talked about cricket.
- After all, they say life is a box of chocolates, but never have I seen life as being sweet.
- You have to get a second mortgage in order to buy a small box of chocolates.
- The bowl was the size of a child's head, and was filled to the brim with chocolates and candy.
- They are generous too - give them a box of chocolates and they will tend to share them all and not leave one for themselves.
- He was the one handing out sweets and chocolates to children in Srebrenica.
- Lora, who has been going out with Matthew for a year, has been sending him parcels of chocolates and sweets.
- If the message is not getting through to your children, join in with their interest in sweets and chocolates for a few days.
- He went into his bedroom and produced a box of expensive chocolates she guessed he'd been saving for Marlene.
- Sweets and chocolates are a must and should form a part of the gift you plan to give the kid.
- After our talk, the raffle was drawn and the lucky ones won Easter Eggs or chocolates.
- Western countries have cocoa butter in their chocolates which is superior health wise.
- Today I got a card and box of chocolates from R when I didn't expect anything.
- When folk from work have been away on holiday, they leave indigenous sweets and chocolates on the desk next to me.
render_form_group(subsense).blank? span.form-groups = render_form_group(subsense)chocolate en polvo masculinecacao en polvo masculinea cup of hot chocolate — una taza de chocolate
2(color)color chocolate masculinemarrón oscuro masculinecafé oscuro masculine Chile Mexicocarmelito oscuro masculine Colombia
- Her eyes were a deep chocolate brown, and she paused momentarily to pull a stray strand of hair out of them.
- I am sitting right at the back of the room, in my customary chocolate brown polo neck sweater, head bowed.
- Her hair was a deep chocolate brown, held up in high pigtails with small, curving bangs.
- It was a deep, chocolate brown that contrasted perfectly with his silky, flawless skin.
- The room had a determinedly seventies look about it, the woodwork in chocolate brown, the carpet a rich purple.
- Pretty, slender features and a chocolate brown colouring belie the fatty marbled meat within.
- Anna had dirty blonde hair that reached down to her elbows and deep chocolate brown eyes.
- His eyes are this deep chocolate brown color, the type you could lose your mind in.
- Cysts are also likely to grow within the ovaries and these cysts are chocolate brown in colour.
- They are born chocolate brown, but that color lightens to a red or sandy color as they mature.
- Her hair was short, and a deep chocolate brown with a reddish tinge where the light hit it.
- What was wrong with deep chocolate brown, or a lighter green to the usual wheelies?
- Caramel, chestnut brown, chocolate and bright colours such as pink, blue and green are on the way.
- For instant sex appeal, create a feline eye in black eye pencil, or chocolate brown for those with paler colourings.
- His hair was a chocolate brown colour with a few blonde streaks through it, spiked up slightly.
- His eyes met with another pair of a deep chocolate brown, yet their gaze wasn't focused on him but on the books before her.
- A chocolate brown chair beside it appears to have a light sprinkling of dandruff.
- The creature is said to be about 5ft, chocolate brown or orange and able to walk upright.
- The agony and shame in his face, in his deep chocolate brown orbs, drunk or not, was real.
- I'm going to get her some chocolate coloured tights and see if I can find some chocolate brown gloves for her to wear with it.
1Cooking(cake/frosting/icing) de chocolate
2(in color)color chocolatemarrón oscurocafé oscuro Chile Mexicocarmelito oscuro Colombia
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.