In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1director de coro masculinemaestro de coro masculine
- A pupil of Thomas Tallis, he was appointed organist and choirmaster at Lincoln cathedral in 1563.
- This is the school's choir group with Jack Merridew, the choirmaster, in lead.
- The generosity of Michael Franklin ensured that the church organ was completely rebuilt in 1973 in memory of his brother Mark, who had been organist and choirmaster from 1922 to 1967.
- Nonetheless, he was full of praise for choirmaster and organist at St James's, Bill Thomas, who trained him and oversaw his Halle audition.
- The choirmaster and my Dad even did concerts together.
- It is notable how often singers were also choirmasters; no religious stigma was attached to secular singing.
- He had frequent offers for positions under Government, of which the first was that of organist and choirmaster at the Cathedral of Schwerin.
- He sang in public for the first time and the choir won, causing the choirmaster to faint from shock.
- He received his earliest training from his father Josef, himself a composer and one of Prague's most respected choirmasters and organists.
- Overall, the settings come with a light touch, with enough musical complexity to satisfy choirmasters and audiences, yet not so demanding as to deny smaller choirs a chance to participate.
- He was a committed Christian, and the organist and choirmaster of his local church, and he wore a discreet crucifix in his lapel, but he never proselytised.
- It will certainly make for a sharper atmosphere, with the wit and wisdom of the terrace choirmasters taken to newly creative heights.
- Alice took the young organist, who was also her choirmaster, to meet her father.
- Organ playing runs in the family as Adam's dad David is organist and choirmaster at St Nicolas' Church.
- A boy only 13 years old has taken over from a respected retired music teacher as church organist and choirmaster.
- I was also a church organist and choirmaster in Whitechurch in Rathfarnham, and a part-time music teacher, teaching piano, Leaving Cert Musicianship and choir.
- Before we hoist one for Pete, let's also remember that he's one of the best choirmasters in the country.
- It was an erotic power that set the whole body aflame: you put on one of those coats and, hey presto, you're the policeman or the bus conductor, the pilot or the choirmaster.
- Countless local churchgoers also knew him as their regular organist and choirmaster.
- Before I moved to London I spent two years as organist and choirmaster in a South Dublin parish.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.