In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1acorde masculinemajor/minor chord — acorde mayor/menor
- it touches some common chord in all of us — nos llega a todos
- The main difficulty of the second section is the pages of interlocking octaves, chords and single notes covering the entire range of the keyboard.
- The opening chords of the Adagio Sostenuto were finely poised and imbued with spacious eloquence.
- Rather than the standard barrage of bass and major barre chords, The Banshees offered a sound that was expansive and broad, yet no less claustrophobic and tense than any of their peers.
- The virtuoso tour de force begins with a flourish, the piano arpeggios answered by bold chords in the woodwind trio.
- In the Polonaise, Gourari raps out the opening chords defiantly, and the main melody is shaped with both arrogance and tenderness.
- The first piece is an intense Prélude whose stabbing chords and mournful melodies sound like the work of an already mature composer.
- They would then have to try and piece together how the tune may have sounded, based on the chords and on other bits of sheet music which they might have come across while clearing out dusty attics.
- The first piece, ‘After the Rain,’ is an easy piece with a duet that adds major ninth and seventh chords, making a nice ballad.
- From the tramping funeral rhythm of the opening movement to the ominous major - minor chords of the finale, the symphony offers precious little respite from its tragic purpose.
- As the opening chords came out it sounded like I was playing them at half the usual pace.
- The opening cascade of chords in the Schumann concerto, so treacherous to play, does not lend itself well to simplifying.
- There is, from the opening chords, a sense of hearing forbidden sounds, of entering into a spirit of resistance against the homogenisers of art.
- Prokofiev's daunting cluster chords and rapid fire pianistic flourishes held no terrors for her.
- Harmonically the second half of the score tends to be built on rich static chords and pedal notes, which balance the structure after the energetic first half.
- Instead he supplements the seven notes of Beethoven's chord with five more of his own to make a 12-note row.
- The bitonal opening of the quartet is arresting, with first violin playing the opening theme in C# over a drone chord of C major in the three accompanying instruments.
- The mystery of the sonata's opening chords has rarely been so magical!
- As music is about tunes, chords, and harmonies, not notes per se, so chemistry is about compounds and molecules, not elements.
- The top note of the chord identifies major, while the middle note identifies minor.
- From the stark opening chords to the unsettling harmonies of the Adagio, the orchestra is assured.
- He wrote on the computation of sines and chords.
- He found the length of an arc of the cycloid using an exhaustion proof based on dissections to reduce the problem to summing segments of chords of a circle which are in geometric progression.
- The angle at the centre of a circle is twice the angle at the circumference from the same chord.
- Madhava also gave a table of almost accurate values of half-sine chords for twenty-four arcs drawn at equal intervals in a quarter of a given circle.
- De triangulis is in five books, the first of which gives the basic definitions: quantity, ratio, equality, circles, arcs, chords, and the sine function.
3to strike/touch a chord
- that struck a chord with her — eso le tocó la fibra sensible
- his speech struck the right chord with the audience — su discurso estuvo en perfecta sintonía con el sentir del público
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.