In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sopa o guiso de pescado
- I'm hungry and tonight they are having my favorite meal, clam and potato chowder, swordfish, and apple pie for dessert.
- Other, less heart-stopping side dishes, are the nachos with salsa or the respectable, but not great, clam chowder.
- Coastal fish and coconut milk chowders, potato-based soups, and Amazonian pepper-pot dishes are joined by chicken consommé, cream of avocado, and cow's foot and tripe soup.
- You can also choose the house specialty Rainbow soup, conch chowder, fresh lamb soup cooked New England style, or a variety of scrumptious salads.
- Soon Baker was loading up 14-foot trucks to the roof with cans of everything from black beans to clam chowder.
- I had the rich creamy seafood chowder with white fish, salmon chunks, slivers of green leeks, dots of carrot and a breath of lovage's celery essence.
- The meat is also dark, so does not suit a New England-style clam chowder, which is white, as well as it does the Manhattan version, which is not.
- To serve, spoon some clam chowder into the center of a soup bowl, arrange some salad in the center, and place a bass fillet on top.
- She loves to make soups, and her favorite recipe is corn chowder.
- To start, I had the clam and cod chowder with brandy cream for €4.60.
- Trying to find these delicacies in Manhattan, they say, is like looking for a decent bowl of clam chowder in Tibet.
- The clam and mussel chowder scored five out five with my husband.
- He is making up some more of his clam chowder although it will be more like potato soup as just a few clams are left in the freezer.
- You'll find some rather unsettling accounts of what can go wrong in a restaurant kitchen and why you should never assume that there are actually clams in your clam chowder.
- She was also famous among friends for going into the kitchen and preparing her favourite dishes, including fried caribou or clam chowder.
- No matter where you go, if they serve clam chowder, it is described as ‘award winning.’
- Hints of fish and chips and saltwater taffy drift through the air, and clam chowder is ubiquitous on local menus.
- About the only traces that remained of his short occupancy were two jars of leftover fish chowder he'd prepared for friends a couple of weeks earlier, then stuck in the freezer.
- We wandered down Cannery Row and sat at the quayside eating clam chowder from bread bowls.
- We had an appetizer of Italian salad and clam chowder soup.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.