In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ReligionCristobefore noun the Christ child — el niño Jesús
- For it was on this day that Christ strengthened the Church which he had already founded by his own flesh and blood.
- As Christ died on the cross for others, so also was his resurrection representative.
- There are many battles ahead for believers, but victory is certain through Christ our Lord.
- If Christ is not sinless, he is not divine, nor is his death on the cross any help to sinners like ourselves.
- Brethren, because we are all brothers and sisters in Christ and should treat each other as such.
- When Peter became a follower of Christ, Jesus told him he would be made a fisher of people.
- After Christ dies on the cross, a single drop of rain falls from the heavens onto the ground.
- Christians today have to be Christ to other people, and demonstrate what he was like and what he stood for.
- Whoever drinks the blood of Christ has eternal life, and Christ will raise him up at the last day.
- As he listened to the Christ teach, Satan understood why Jesus did not give in to temptations.
- Many seem to feel that one way to put Christ back into Christmas is by displaying a Nativity scene.
- Funds are needed for all the splendid projects that are being undertaken in Christ's name.
- The good news is that nothing can separate us from the love of God that we have known in Jesus the Christ.
- So Christ exercises his gentleness by the power of the Spirit working in the lives of fallen people.
- If Christ did not die for our sins then we are still under the wrath of God and without hope.
- It is as the whole Body of Christ that we express the fullness of Christ to the world.
- Without a perception of the Christ of the Bible, worship loses both its focus and its anchor.
- It is vital that the churches know God through Christ and the gospel of grace.
- Epiphany is a feast of revelation, the day Christ made his being known to the world.
- To make sense as a concept, the Christ has to be an Everyman, a man without qualities.
2informal¡Jesús! informalfor Christ's sake! — ¡por amor de Dios!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.