In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tarjeta de Navidad femininetarjeta de Pascua feminine Peru Chilecrismas masculine Spain
- I'd love to say that we're still in touch and she sends me Christmas cards every year but that just isn't the case.
- The boys and girls were asked to design and make a Christmas card suitable for sending to senior citizens and people living alone.
- For example, each year he gives a Christmas card to clients, volunteers and staff.
- He used to send me Christmas cards, but he finally stopped a couple of years ago.
- A few years ago someone mailed us a beautiful Christmas card with Mary and Jesus on the front.
- They have not merely sent out Christmas-themed Christmas cards, but recreated the nativity scene on the front.
- In fact, you can even do away with Christmas cards altogether, unless the person you are sending it to is especially near and dear.
- The spreadsheet can be used to help you balance your finances or keep track of who you should be sending Christmas cards to.
- I wonder if anyone noticed that I didn't send a single Christmas card.
- I told Amy that my mom sends Christmas cards to people she met in the dentist office waiting room.
- Police had sent Christmas cards to many of Oldham's most prolific burglars warning them to spend the festive period at home.
- Her scenes were used on Christmas cards, a calendar and notelets.
- As we spoke, she showed me a Christmas card which had been sent to her by a widow in East Sussex.
- We are also urging businesses not to send Christmas cards, but instead donate money to the appeal.
- Christmas was an occasion for tears - as no one ever sent him a Christmas card and he had to sit for hours watching other patients open their presents.
- The Royal Mail now moves over a billion Christmas cards each December.
- A couple who once had to wait 12 years for a Christmas card to be delivered have experienced more postal problems.
- Or use plain boxes and decoupage or paste recycled Christmas cards on the lid.
- I was going to send them all a thank you card but now it's time to send Christmas cards.
- The last time I heard from him he'd sent me a Christmas card with a message saying that he'd moved, but forgot to put his new address on it!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.