In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1día de Navidad masculinedía de Pascua masculine Peru Chile
- Besides Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Easter, Panamanian Americans celebrate the Independence Day of Panama on November 3.
- An ex-convict who knifed his dad after a Christmas Day drinking session is behind bars for 21 months - and was warned by a judge to stay away from him in future.
- I hope they are going to have as miserable a Christmas Day as I am.
- And so a Christmas Day of abstention was born.
- He also praised the work of St. Joseph's Football Club who raised money by holding a Christmas Day swim, which helped fund the children's visit.
- A neighbour has been hailed a lifesaver after rescuing a young girl from a Christmas Day blaze and ending up in hospital.
- For Antony, his mother and the rest of his family it was a Christmas Day spent like many before.
- I turned around slowly to get back to work, a little embarrassed for the tears in my eyes, and there was a group of my co-workers, one with a box of tissues, which she passed around to each nurse who worked a Christmas Day she will never forget.
- A man has been jailed for a Christmas Day knife attack on the mother of his child.
- The Mint is closed on Christmas Day and Good Friday.
- On Christmas Day, there will be Holy Communion in Boyle at 10 am and at 11.30 am in Taunagh Parish Church, Riverstown.
- Buried in Philadelphia, he died there on Christmas Day, 1917, and was laid to rest in Holy Cross Cemetery in Section 12, Range 2, Lot 7, Grave 1.
- On Christmas Day 1999 he was inducted as Parish Priest by Bishop Thomas Finnegan.
- I think that taking players away from the family on a Christmas Day is a bit harsh.
- The Old Montreal homeless shelter will be having their Christmas mass on Dec.24 at 8 p.m. at the shelter and a Christmas Day meal served at noon.
- What a Christmas Day it will be with treats and treasures for all.
- They train on Christmas Day and play on Boxing Day.
- Hints of the coming crisis emerge as the families enjoy a Christmas Day gathering at the brothers’ jointly owned luxury beach house.
- Elsewhere, the poet mentions a painting that is a Christmas Day gift.
- We don't want racing on Christmas Day or even Good Friday.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.