In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1árbol de Navidad masculineárbol de Pascua masculine Peru Chile
- Seated on the stage of the Vatican's modern audience hall, between two decorated Christmas trees, the Pope was feted by bands and choirs singing carols from their native countries.
- Homes are decorated with greens but Christmas trees, stockings, special lights, Santa Claus, and mistletoe are missing.
- For centuries the Christmas tree has been one of the most popular yuletide symbols and much has been written about it.
- Unlike ordinary pine trees, the Christmas trees are decorated with a shell made of dried vines, dark blue feathers swinging behind the shell.
- The time of year had come for Christmas, and the school had already started to put up decorations, started getting Christmas trees and putting lights and things on them.
- Christmas shoppers in Corsham have got an extra treat this year two Christmas trees and new lights in the High Street.
- Montgomery also will put up as many as six Christmas trees and decorate them with bows, ornaments and small photo frames.
- People decorate houses with artificial Christmas trees, wear artificial hair, play games on artificial grass and build zoo cages with artificial rocks.
- Hew home was so cosy and so artistically decorated for Christmas with decorations, lights, Christmas trees and Santa Claus.
- Of course, before there was electricity, Christmas trees were decorated with candles, but there were also more house fires back then.
- Many houses throughout the parish were beautifully decorated with external lights and Christmas trees in Ballon Village added to the festive appearance.
- Also, lights on Christmas trees can be hazardous if the needles on the tree dry out to much causing them to ignite.
- There's some talk they can't even light their Christmas trees because of the power shortages as a result, many say, of the deregulation.
- A large Christmas tree with large bulbous fairy lights had been placed on the village green.
- Santas, Christmas trees and fairy lights are just some of the decorations to see.
- The colors of green and red decorate many cities, complementing the glittering gold and silver tinsel decorations that adorn Christmas trees.
- His house is decorated with blinking lights, and a Christmas tree stands on the porch.
- They may offer you several varieties of evergreen boughs from leftover Christmas trees - quite possibly for free!
- Decorating Christmas trees is also very popular.
- As they went down to the living room, it looked beautiful with the Christmas tree fully decorated and lights hung on it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.