In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Made in a multitude of styles and configurations, they're finished in chrome, platinum, matte platinum, and brass.
- Austin's father owned a 1974 Mustang with a glossy black finish and chrome highlights.
- At the Farnsworth House the two bathrooms, in cool contrast, have pristine travertine floors and walls and chrome plumbing fittings.
- Materials and finishes include pewter, silk steel, sparkling chrome and brushed stainless steel.
- The body is all steel and has the original chrome bumpers, grille, and mirrors.
- The most noticeable change is to the famous seven-slot grille, now finished in polished chrome and incorporating a pair of fog lights while larger, protruding side sills provide a wider stance.
- He headed off on a chrome bicycle towards St Peter's Street.
- The tiled bathrooms have been finished with chrome fittings and each apartment has a modern, individually designed fitted kitchen with extractor unit.
- The magazines are particularly well made, and finished in bright chrome.
- The furniture is available in nine different stains with a polished chrome, matt chrome or black finish on the under carriage frame.
- A complete set of polished or satin chrome fittings can cost anything from €100 to €350.
- This compact case contains fine-tip cuticle scissors, a cuticle pusher, a stainless-steel nail file and a chrome nail clipper.
- Both the bathroom and en suite are just as modern, with crisp white and chrome fittings, and exposed wooden flooring.
- The steering wheel, automatic transmission selector and handbrake are leather-wrapped and door pulls are finished in satin chrome.
- Tires are available on aluminum wheels with a choice of brushed or chrome finish.
- He was hosting a children's circus skills workshop on August 15 when the chrome unicycle, worth several hundred pounds, was stolen from the fairground in Station Park.
- The shower room has a quarry tiled floor with deep blue inlaid mosaic tiling and chrome fittings, while the main bedroom has an en suite bathroom decorated in similar style.
- There are several polished chrome and leather fittings for the bathroom including shelf brackets, towel loops, cord-pulls and soap dishes.
- Other options include brushed or polished bronze, brushed brass, chrome, stainless steel finishes, and two types of gates.
- The home accents are embellished with an antique effect with the help of a variety of plating like bronze, silver, nickel, chrome, pewter and black nickel.
- Modelled on the American diner of the 1950s, the chrome and Formica interior has become a classic in its own right.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.