In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The sizes of the two centromeres from the homologous chromosomes are different.
- The sex chromosomes are placed to the right of the smallest autosomal chromosomes.
- Our genes are located on 46 paired structures, or chromosomes, in the cell nucleus.
- So a genetic map is an abstract entity that tells you the relative positions of genes on chromosomes.
- Ring chromosomes, chromatid exchanges and polyploidies were also observed at some treatments.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.