In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(face/legs/cheeks) regordete informal(man/baby) gordinflón informal(baby/man) regordete informal(man/baby) rellenito informal(man/baby) rechonchochubby-cheeked — mofletudo
- But she's just slightly chubby and has nice rosy cheeks and is very sort of ordinary-looking.
- There is barely an ounce of fat on his body, and he continues to make his team-mates look chubby.
- The man's round, chubby face was already flushed from that small amount of exertion.
- He was slightly chubby with bushy, straight collar length mousy brown hair.
- On the grass behind the beach families munch on fish and chips, chasing off the chubby seagulls.
- One of the gunmen was white, of chubby build and wearing a Post Office uniform consisting of a pale blue shirt and blue trousers.
- The fourth member of the group was chubby with a shaven head, a blue jumper and wearing spectacles.
- She was too eager, as I knew she would be, her chubby fingers plying the hair too fast.
- I couldn't go fast, no matter which gear I tried or how furiously I pumped my chubby legs.
- Parents were horrified at the antics of chubby rocker Bill Haley and swivel-hipped Elvis Presley.
- It came as a shock to see how chubby he was as both a child and an early teenager.
- Once there, Christine spoke to a chubby policeman who directed us to a flight of stairs.
- I still wear my hair short and those chubby little cheeks haven't thinned out a bit.
- I felt sorry for the innumerable chubby people at the front who had to be gasping for air.
- The man is described as aged between 40 and 50, of average height and of quite chubby build.
- The man carrying the knife was much shorter than his accomplice and was described as chubby with a red face.
- Brian said the chubby New Zealand animals were some of the hardest to keep happy in soaring temperatures.
- I was quite a chubby child which was an issue because the rest of my family weren't.
- Rabbits who are too chubby are not able to groom themselves properly and this can cause medical problems.
- After his body was wet, Hugo's chubby little arms held onto his Dad while he leant back to wet his hair.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.