In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(alcoholic)sidra femininehard cider — sidra fermentada
- Flavored malts, ciders, coolers, hard lemonades, teas, root beers and so on, a whole gamut of beer-strength potions, have sprung up, tasting like anything but beer.
- Beer, lager and cider were the most popular drinks but there was a sharp increase in alcopops drinkers.
- Held in Victoria Hall, the festival will feature 110 beers and cask ales, including beers from Germany, Belgium, America and Ireland, as well as ciders and fruit wines.
- Tasmania is setting up a specialty fruit wine association to promote the production of meads, ciders, pure fruit wines and liqueurs.
- The American market is now exploding with sweet ciders (such as Spire and Woodchuck) that are light, refreshing, and unfit for your cheese.
- The real problem facing cider sellers is the new growth of hard lemonades.
- On the night in question, it is claimed that vodka, cider and an alcopop were on offer to youngsters.
- He drove off on his own, despite drinking cider all afternoon.
- I risked a pint of Old Rosie, scrumpy cider twice the strength of normal beer!
- This time, I had more cider, wines and tequila than is good for a person.
- Beer, lager, cider and spirits were confiscated from the group and letters have been sent to their parents.
- I had a half pint of cider which was cheap and not too intense for a Monday night.
- He had been on a night out in the town, and came into the shop having consumed five pints of bitter and cider.
- Mr Williams said Luke had drunk brandy, cider and taken cannabis before he smashed a window in the house.
- He blamed his actions on being drunk on cider and lager.
- Drinking a pint or two of sweet cider in the belief that it is the elixir of adulthood is a rite of passage every teenager undergoes.
- Medium sweet cider is full bodied but refreshing and light and is great with fruit and cheese.
- Traditional drinks such as beer, cider and wine must be served in specific quantities.
- Revellers relaxed in a tent outside the club, drinking beer and cider and tucking into pig roast.
- The money was reserved for sweet cider and ran out on Day Two.
2also sweet cider
US(non-alcoholic)jugo de manzana masculinezumo de manzana masculine Spain
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.