In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The bird is flat-roasted to perfection and sweetened with a mixture of cloves, cumin, and cinnamon.
- As noted in my new medicinal spice book, ginger, cinnamon, hot pepper and turmeric are just a few of the spices that can settle a distressed stomach.
- Spices such as coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, mace and nutmeg are ideal for winter soups.
- While hers was a chocolate hazelnut cake, mine was a pecan cake with cinnamon undertones.
- He also opened a tin of biscuits he had brought back from Sweden - tasty things spiced with cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- For the spiced cakes, I added a bit of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, and ginger, along with a minced chili pepper.
- Pilau is a delicious dish of rice spiced with curry, cinnamon, cumin, hot peppers, and cloves.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin, ground coriander and cinnamon and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flour, bran, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom.
- When you use less sugar, add spices such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg to enhance the sweetness of the food.
- The traditional recipe uses cinnamon and cloves for spices.
- Then I added Nancy's special mix of spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves
- One New Year's tradition is to hide a silver coin in the dough of a special bread spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange peel.
- Table cinnamon is made from cinnamon bark and contains both water-soluble and fat-soluble compounds.
- Unless you are used to North African flavours, you would be wise to start with very little cumin and cinnamon and the lightest hint of coriander.
- The oatmeal was prepared in just the way he liked it, sweetened with honey, thickened with milk and cream, and flavored slightly with cinnamon.
- An agricultural country whose chief crop is rice, Sri Lanka is known for spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, pepper, and cloves.
- Wet spices like shallots, ginger and garlic are balanced against dry ones like coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cloves.
- The spices used were ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, and cardamom, along with tea leaves.
- The spices and seasonings that we like to use include cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- He has a light tan fur with a cinnamon sprinkling, and the same pattern shape around his eyes that I have.
- Lips are both nude and matte or glossed in shades of pale pink, red or cinnamon.
- I do like my new color - it's kind of a coppery cinnamon with blonde highlights.
- Sally deduced that the colours Jane should be wearing were light colours with some warmth, such as peach, beige, caramel, cinnamon, and apricot.
- Her skin, the hue of toasted cinnamon, was flawless.
- We observe the Admiral, dressed in a cinnamon coloured velvet coat trimmed with elaborate gold clasps.
- Pink ponytail holders held her white hair in pigtails, and there was a cherry flush in her cinnamon cheeks.
- White paint was used to provide a crisp contrast to the rich cinnamon color of the redwood deck.
- His shoulders and chest were covered in cinnamon coloured freckles.
- The dominant colors are beige, cinnamon and shades of blue.
- Her gold cinnamon skin shone next to my pale cream.
- They sway slightly with the breeze and range in hue from cinnamon to dusty violet.
- The huge cinnamon and gold suite next door features a grand piano.
- Her cinnamon hair has thinned and matted past a point of salvation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.