In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(passage around)recorrido masculinevuelta femininethe circuit of the islands takes 3 hours — el recorrido / el tour de las islas dura tres horas
- the moon's circuit of / around the earth — la órbita de la luna alrededor de la tierra
- the athlete ran six circuits of the track — el atleta dio seis vueltas a la pista
- I finished my circuit of the town, now also wanting to buy an antiquarian book.
- The helicopter flew a final circuit and then the show was over.
- The planes end up flying circuits around Perth to burn up fuel or to dump fuel on arrival.
- We have a witness who was driving a circuit route around this part of the Island.
- The walk route is a 1km circuit around the park, so you can do as many laps as you like.
- We boarded the Moorsbus at Cropton, leaving the village buzzing with a group of 30 or more ramblers off to do a local circuit.
- On your fourth flight you fly solo and by then you're pretty confident in flying circuits.
- Blood flows in a circuit between the heart and the lungs.
- She had just finished her circuit of the room, when she realized that nothing else had caught her eye.
- The direction of travel around a circuit is decided by the instructor.
- Since 1995, the flight circuits have been directed to the north, north-west and south of the base.
- Little buggies do circuits round the island as golfers try to discover what's going on.
- Grunting, he picked up one sack, bearing it with him as he finished the circuit of the booths.
- At present, long haul international freighters are losing capacity because of the need to carry extra fuel to fly circuits around Perth in case the weather is poor.
- They'd make a few circuits of the church so we all got a good look.
- He finished a circuit around the main square.
- It sticks doggedly to its line through numerous fast circuits round large roundabouts.
- The race finishes with a circuit race in the centre of Dublin next Sunday.
- The circuit was almost finished, and I was second.
- In the real tour, 11 circuits of the Champs Elysees are expected to climax in a mass sprint for what has become one of the most prestigious victories in professional cycling.
2.1Lawdistrito jurisdiccional masculineterritorio jurisdiccional masculine
- The country was divided by Henry II into six judicial circuits for the purpose of bringing royal justice to all regions.
- Six tourism circuits will be identified for development to international standards during 2002-03.
- The commissioners were major lay and ecclesiastical lords with only small landholdings in the shires of the circuit.
2.2(series of dates, events)circuito masculine
- No strangers to the tour circuit, these boys have been doing the rounds for several years.
- As for the live circuit, nothing beats getting yourself out to a comedy club and checking out new talent first hand.
- She secured the coveted title of Sports Personality of the Year based on her outstanding performances on the international circuit last year.
- Since then, she has toured the European circuit.
- A growing theatre company is developing its circuit of rural venues by bringing a piece of contemporary dynamite to local stages.
- He studied literature and drama before working the cabaret circuit.
- There are actual tour circuits where, twice a month, people will host a show in their homes.
- It was one of the biggest shows to tour the country music circuit; the line up was impressive.
- He wouldn't want his name to be slandered on the party circuit for being a closed-minded homophobe.
- In addition to her fairground business, she sells smuggled liquor to the inns and public houses on her circuit.
- He said: ‘We've spent years getting the circuit ready for this event, proving we could run it’.
- The youngster has become firmly established on the showbiz circuit in the past year.
- From Sundance to Venice, each film has trodden the path of the festival circuit.
- Ever since Tiger Woods entered the golf circuit, the sport hasn't been the same.
- Cliff diving is an international sport with a world circuit contested by competitors from as far afield as Iceland and Brazil.
- The comedian has been a regular performer at major venues on the national circuit.
- The Rotherham-born actress started work on the cabaret circuit as a singer touring the north of England.
- The race accompanies the Berlin Marathon, a major event on the running circuit.
- Her brief career has been dotted with some creditable performances in the domestic circuit.
- The films will be introduced by the acclaimed Italian director, whose movies have done the rounds in international film circuits.
3Electricitycircuito masculineparallel/series circuit — circuito en paralelo/serie
- The heating element includes heating segments connected together in an electric circuit.
- When the charges connect, effectively closing a circuit, electric energy flows along that jagged path.
- Engineers added the new circuits for the electric air conditioning.
- Mauchly's interests were in electrical engineering and he looked for ways to develop electrical circuits for computation.
- A battery is only one source for an electric circuit.
- When you pick up a handset it generates a loop current in the circuit.
- The control circuits take mere nanoseconds to decide how the laser light must be modulated.
- When there is a path that goes from the negative to the positive terminal, you have a circuit, and electrons can flow through the wire.
- My grandfather had died in 1913 installing electric circuits when he, my father, was a baby.
- Follow the path of the circuits back a bit to see where they connect up to solder points.
- In an electrical circuit, the number of electrons that are moving is called the amperage or the current, and it is measured in amps.
- The chips would be made from silicon or plastic, using microscopic machinery which can fit electric circuits on to objects too small to be seen by the naked eye.
- Basically, LEDs are just tiny light bulbs that fit easily into an electrical circuit.
- He had learned that an inductance coil was a closed circuit with no current of its own.
- The electron from the hydrogen goes through the electrical circuit to the cathode to make water.
- In every circuit, voltage, current and resistance are exactly proportional, mathematically speaking.
- The components of the circuit are checked against specific parameters.
- In the accident identification system, there are circuits to determine when there is an abnormal movement that indicates an accident.
- For electric circuits on a nanoscale, further components are needed in addition to tiny wires.
- With the exception of sound, electricity is the only other kinesis that requires a circuit or path to get to a destination.
- In the ordinary telephone system, each time we make a call, we have to establish a circuit between our phone and the phone of the person we would like to talk with.
- Applied as very thin films, they create a fabric of nanotube ropes that can conduct electricity in circuits.
- Power electronics technology uses electronic circuits to convert and control electric energy with optimum efficiency.
- Thanks to wireless integration, roughly 20 more lighting circuits became programmable for use in lighting scenes and pathways.
- The very small particles stream through wires and circuits creating currents of electricity.
- Increasingly, aluminium circuits were restricting the flow of electrical current, creating signal delay between the millions of transistors inside a chip.
- A control circuit is coupled to the sensors and receives the signals.
- Lithography tools are used to draw the lines of a circuit on to a semiconductor wafer.
- If a fuse is in the supply circuit, it will do its job and blow out, opening the circuit and stopping the current flow.
- They claim that the company owes other telecoms operators about £1.25 million in fines for the late delivery of telecoms circuits and leased lines.
- The battery forces electrons to flow through the circuit from one terminal to the other.
- When air is brought into contact with the second electrode, current flows through any circuit linking the two electrodes.
- She cannot list the major components in an electrical circuit even though they were described in the chapter.
- The local phone company lost one of its major switching centres, with some 200,000 lines and three million circuits.
4(motor racing track)autódromo masculinepista feminine
- The track actually consists of 5 separate circuits, including a 2.5km oval and a 1.2km drag strip.
- The runners had a six-kilometre circuit, within which Mosley finished in 20 minutes, 27 seconds.
- He had never raced at the circuit before and his performance was excellent.
- Talladega is still the fastest track on the circuit.
- After the first two days of testing, the official drivers swapped circuits.
- Bardon flew around the circuit in an impressive time of 29.84.
- Road racing was popular on the continent but in Britain it was banned, leading to the development of closed circuits on private land.
- It is also a circuit designed for Formula One cars as it is very smooth.
- The crowd then briskly moves to the trackside to watch the start and follow the colours of their jockey around the circuit to the finish line.
- Imola is a nice track and a special circuit to open this part of the calendar.
- With me in the passenger seat, Mark took me around four laps of the circuit.
- The winner and their guest will be flown to the circuit by helicopter, where they will be able to watch the race from the best seats in the house.
- Powering his way around the circuit he finished with three and a half lengths to spare.
- There used to be a kart circuit opposite the market and that was the only place I raced for the first three years.
- On the circuit, 600 meters from the finish line, there was a cobblestone section that we passed over every loop we made.
- Hislop couldn't afford to take his family to the tour's race circuits with him to cultivate their interest.
- I am very pleased to have crossed the finish line on my home circuit in front of all the celebrating mechanics.
- My goal here is to learn the circuit as fast as I can and obviously try to finish the race.
- I like the Hungaroring, as it's quite a different track from the rest of the Formula One circuits.
- Having raced bikes for the past 22 years, this vastly experienced rider made short work of the circuit and fellow riders.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.