In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Sometimes circumcision is carried out for religious reasons.
- As furor over female genital mutilation grows, so does the criticism of male circumcision.
- In the past, young boys underwent ritual circumcision at a relatively late age.
- Kubu was once used as a site for the initiation and circumcision of young boys.
- This is an extremely rare type of cancer, and circumcision may only offer protection if done in childhood, not during puberty.
- Although circumcision is carried out more often on babies and young boys, it can be performed on men of any age.
- The bris, or ritual circumcision, takes place eight days after birth.
- Male circumcision is one of the most common surgical operations done worldwide and is considered by many to be a minor procedure.
- At present, circumcision is only available on health grounds at the majority of the country's hospitals.
- Infant male circumcision as practised by the Jews occurs on the eighth day after birth.
- Male circumcision is the most commonly performed surgical operation in the United States.
- Young men who undergo circumcision at the same time become part of a social group that lasts for a lifetime.
- I am a pediatric surgeon who has observed numerous circumcisions done by excellent Mohelim.
- Brit Milah, or circumcision, is performed on a Jewish male eight days after he is born.
- Ever since Abraham, circumcision was the way Jews marked their covenant with God.
- Male initiation in the form of circumcision is practiced among most Xhosa groups.
- In an effort to meet what he believes are his younger mistress' true desires, Nick even undergoes adult circumcision.
- Some groups practice circumcision of boys aged ten to twelve to mark their passage into manhood.
- There is nothing moral or immoral about the choices we make about circumcision.
- The wanted them to face charges of practising circumcision without a permit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.