In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Sure, I can imagine some of the circumstantial detail that would make the story sound more immediate.
- As it is not properly a term of the British marine, a more circumstantial account of it might be considered foreign to our plan.
- Her circumstantial account was accepted by thousands who had hitherto remained sceptical.
- He includes much by way of circumstantial detail without allowing his central narrative to become shapeless.
- They do add bits of circumstantial detail, but the images are like glittery found objects glued to the surface of a sculpture.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.