In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The persistent cirrus clouds indicate atmospheric turmoil at the levels where such control begins.
- High cirrus clouds form white streaks across its surface and a number of dark storms act as flaws and focus for the eye.
- The lowest of these clouds is nacreous, which normally forms between 10 and 20 miles above the Earth (compared with ice cloud cirrus at around 6 miles).
- Other common elements may include the possession of fixed conical teeth and cirri, or fleshy hair-like projections, on the head.
- I lay on the bed and watched cirrus clouds drift slowly across the sky.
- High, tropical cirrus clouds are made up of tiny ice crystals that float at altitudes from 20,000 feet to 60,000 feet.
- The purpose of the mission was to study cirrus clouds, to improve forecasts of future climate change.
- And from that perspective, you're looking at the very high cirrus clouds over the top of the storm.
- Over a distant horizon line, cirrus clouds fill the summer sky.
- Most halos appear as bright white rings but in some instances, the dispersion of light as it passes through ice crystals found in upper level cirrus clouds can cause a halo to have color.
- The arc isn't a rainbow in the traditional sense - it is caused by light passing through wispy, high-altitude cirrus clouds.
- There were some high cirrus clouds earlier and it looks like they're coming back, but, for the most part, it's just been beautiful.
- In the troposphere, water exists as vapor in air, as liquid droplets in clouds, and as frozen ice particles in high altitude cirrus clouds.
- Above us the boundless blue sky was punctuated with a few fluffy cirrus clouds and the sun shining down on all of it.
- Thin strands of cirrus cloud glowed red as the sun rose.
- There have been few days without the presence of cirrus clouds.
- A few cirrus clouds floated by, turning dark and blue around the edges.
- Haloes can sometimes be a sign that rain is approaching, as cirrus clouds can mean that a frontal system is on its way.
- Once the barnacles extended their cirri (fanlike, food-gathering appendages) and started waving them about to collect nutritious particles in the water, the researchers cast a shadow over them with a piece of cardboard.
- The diagnosis of this genus is largely based on features of the cirri and arms, and is thus of only limited relevance to the present specimen.
- The basic cloud forms are cumulus, which are heaped clouds; stratus, which are layer clouds; and cirrus, which are wispy.
- The ventral nerve chord and nerve bundles of the maxillary cirri are indicated.
- The formation of wispy cirrus clouds is not a simple matter.
- The head is often blunt and typically adorned with tentacles or cirri.
- Wispy cirrus clouds are the only ones that form naturally at the high altitudes where jets cruise.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.