In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(water tank)cisterna femininetanque del agua masculinefeminine cisterna British
- But the resident must hand pump the water from the cistern to the barrel in advance.
- Behind was a court, which provided light, and a place for a water cistern supplying a communal tap.
- Almost every house has cisterns and water pipes and fountains.
- Amid comic dialogues and actions, and song and dance sequences, the players carried their message loud and clear: malaria-causing mosquitoes breed in clear water in the cisterns, tanks and wells of every household.
- The company advises householders to check that their main stopcock works and that all pipe work, cisterns and tanks are well insulated.
- Used water collected in this manner can be pumped back to supply outdoor taps and toilet cisterns everywhere already connected to the present system.
- Everything they needed to survive was inside: stores of food, cisterns of water, and strategically-placed air holes.
- One compromise is to build a unit around the toilet to hide the cistern and plumbing from view but this ‘back to the wall’ unit will take up some potentially valuable space.
- Size the cistern to provide enough water storage for reasonably expected dry periods.
- The Japanese have gone one step further and installed hand-basins in the top of their cisterns so that the toilets are flushed with pre-used water.
- The Court of Appeal held that although the escape of water was a consequence of the maintenance of the cistern and water supply by the landlord, it was not a breach of the covenant for quiet enjoyment.
- In the corner of the room there is an iron cistern filled with water.
- When the bucket is full, I empty it into the toilet cistern.
- They smash toilet cisterns over each others' heads!
- Install half-flush cisterns in toilets so that the amount of water flushed down the drain can be reduced.
- When you flush the toilet, the cistern refills by pumping the water through the tap on top of the toilet, so you can wash your hands as it refills.
- We have recently installed push button taps to stop dripping and wastage, and now they are looking at introducing water hogs for the toilet cistern to save on water.
- Old water cisterns and a Victorian toilet spill over with a veritable mass of plants and bulbs.
- It is a water-saving device you fit in your toilet cistern so that less water is used for flushing.
- Rehabilitation would include bringing to working order the ablution which is in a bad state as most of the toilet pans and cisterns are broken.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.